Sign in to follow this  

Would penetrating oil be good or bad to use on an o-ring chain?

I was thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea on a chain since it might penetrate in to the chain links better. I'm not sure how it would effect the o-rings though. Any thoughts?

My impression is that penetrating oil may be very high in solvents. It is a very thin oil and not long-lasting. At the very least, I'd be worried about it diluting or washing out the oil from the sealed area.

Ya... the same can be said for WD40, which many people use (myself included) religiously. I clean with WD40, then before putting away for storage for more than a week or two, I'll give it a coating of clear spray-on chain lube.

I just use WD40 to dissipate the water after i wash, then wipe it with a rag, then spray on Chain lube.

Penetrating oil will not pass a healthy O-ring is any case, and if it did, is would dilute the grease that was put there to keep the chain lubed.

Just keep your chain clean without using a pressure washer on it, and keep it free of rust. Lube the outside of it, but find a chain lube that drys "clean", not sticky. You want the lube to protect the outer surfaces of the O-rings and lube the rollers and sprockets, but if it attrats and holds dirt, it's not helping.

I use Maxima Synthetic Chain Guard. I'm sure there are others.

Penetrating oils are, as said very thin, and meant to break up the rust and get a stuck bolt out. Even though it is a oil, it's lubricating properties are very low. Their are a number of new products out which have not been tried, but show some promise. Tri-flo, which has been around for a few years, lube's and leaves a Teflon coating, maybe not good for our use, but available. TC-11, been out about a year, is similar to WD40, but works as a lube, water displacer, penetrating oil, and rust inhibitor, may work good for our purposes, but is a bit pricey.

I don't know about now, but in the early 80s, cyclists that I knew commonly used Tri-Flo (or was it Tri-Flon?) for their chains, derailluers, and as a cable lube.

They used it as an all-purpose light lube... pretty much everything either got it or white lith grease.

its tri-flo can get it at alot of places. motorcycle shops and bicycle shops. very good chain lube and cable lube . Hell its works well on any thing that needs to be lubed

Just keep your chain clean without using a pressure washer on it, and keep it free of rust.

I use a pressure washer on my non-oring chain with no problems. But a o-ring chain it would dstroy it.

My chains and sprockets have now 29:42 hours. After 13:48 hours I have only lubed them with WD40 or similar. Sprockets still looks like new and the chain hasn't stretched.