Sign in to follow this  

Kickstarter Installation

Just put the K/S kit in my son's '03 S. Have some tool notes to pass on. 1.) Removing the retainer strap takes a good hand impact tool and a #3 Phillips bit. The Craftsman Impact tool is completely useless for this job. (I'm a big Craftsman fan, except for this one tool.) My Snap-On hand impact with the Snap-On #3 Phillips impact bit removes these screws with two raps of the ballpeen hammer. 2.) I made a tool to hold the clutch basket. Material is 1/8 x 1-1/4 flat steel, and a salvaged strap from an electric garage door opener. Cut two 3-inch pieces of the flat and fit them to the clutch basket. Clamp them to the rest of the flat with Vise-Grips. P1000201A.jpg

Clamp the Vise-Grips tight and lift the assembly off the clutch basket. Hold the free ends of the tabs against the garage door strap and weld them solidly to the strap. Remove the Vise-Grips and saw the welded tabs to about 1-1/2 inch length. P1000205A.jpg

The curve in the strap gives clearance to fit the 27mm socket on the basket nut.

Or you can put it in 5th gear and hold the brake on.