Sign in to follow this  

fcr39 VS. New Pipe?

which will give the better performance gain? My bikes getting the usual mods while im down, but i was gonna buy a Qsystem for it. Is it more beneficial to go with the carb, and stick with the stock exhaust? Im 90% public dirt riding.

Best is both...Having done like most I went with pipe (yosh) first then carb later...BUT...The FCR made a bigger difference in performance...

Are the outside diameters the same on the 400E carb compared to the 400S so I can just swap carbs with no problems?

Or do I need to change the the intake and airbox boots as well?

Are the outside diameters the same on the 400E carb compared to the 400S so I can just swap carbs with no problems?

Or do I need to change the the intake and airbox boots as well?

You need to change the intake and airbox boots...

If you buy an aftermarket FCR there's various other options like buying an adapter, etc.

Timely thread.

I recently sold my RS-3 (way too loud for slabbing down the interstate to work, not to mention how much I was annoying my neighbors and my girlfriend with my 6 a.m. departure time). So I have decided to run the OEM pipe. I've bought one of those billet end caps off eBay as the bike sounds deep and throaty w/o being overly noisy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4560618944&ed=1121543967000&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOTB:MT:6

According to everything I've read here (and from what burned has told me in a couple PMs), there in no comparison: the FCR + stock exhaust will make more of a difference in your bike's performance than a jet kit + aftermarket pipe.

That's the route I'm going, an FCR39 from carbparts.com 🙂

I've replaced my CV with the FCR carb without changing exhaust from stock (only exhaust modification I've done is cutting out the cork which only resulted in deeper exhaust note). The FCR is the best mod I've done yet, easily outweighs the gains from hotcams in&out. The result was more power everywhere and priceless throttle response. I steer with the rear, and having no lag between the right hand and spinning the rear tire is more than anyone could wish.

I wound up using a 98 wr carb and oem E model parts for the conversion, it lightened my wallet by a bit under $300 and was worth every penny.

This topic keeps coming up.... FCR and getting it jetted and tuned well is hands down is gonna make more improvement over exhaust.