Sign in to follow this  

Preloading question

On my TTr 125L '01 , when I land a high jump, due to the lack of power to clear jumps, I ususally can't land on the downside. This results in a hard landing.

My problem is the hard landing and the occasional scary-as-hell twitch when i land. Will preloading help this or no????

So I need beter suspension. i bought PVC pipe to use as a spacer but am now wondering if this isa going to help. Here is a thread that states that it will help preloading. https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244653&highlight=101

In my experience with a TTR you just can't jump it. The suspension isn't good enough. Even with stiffer springs it was too harsh for me. I think you need an MX bike that can handle jumping. TTRs are more for trail riding.

My nephew broke 2 front hubs on his TTR-125 by jumping, he wasn't jumping high but a lot of small jumps. Those TTR's are just made to trail ride not motocross :applause:

FYI theres a lot of YZ 85s on the track and i can beat most of them in turns, whoops, etc. What they beat me in, is jumps and long straight aways.

If you can keep up with them on the TT-R125, then it is time to blow them away by getting a bike specifically suited for MX.

The stock springs are not going to be stiff enough for MX jumps, so stop worrying about the preload. No amount of preload will make up for the springs' rate. ANY bike with ANY rider needs to have the correct rate springs front and rear for the suspension to work properly.

Can't afford an MX bike, well... actually i can but it would be too noisy for my woods. The golfers 100 yds away would call the cops on me. I'm always using things that aren't meant to be used this way.(standing up on body board, using water bottle as catch bottle, jumping a TTR, etc.)

Take the baffle out of your TTR, ride in the woods on a weekend and see if the cops are called. If you are out in the country, you should be OK. And if the cops are not called--hey, get the YZ! Actually, the YZ with stock exhaust is quieter than an uncorked thumper.

Or, put YZ85 clamps and forks on your bike and get aftermarket shock, hubs and rims. But you would better off getting a YZ85. Cheaper and safer in the long run.

There are about 10 things you could do to solve your problem here. They all involve spending money.

The simple fact is, youre misusing your little TTR.

Your replies to suggestions say to me that you dont really want to fix the problem. IE (I cant afford that, or its too loud, or I have more going for me than that...)

Your pics are nice....but I think youre a legend in your own mind...

There are about 10 things you could do to solve your problem here. They all involve spending money.

The simple fact is, youre misusing your little TTR.

Your replies to suggestions say to me that you dont really want to fix the problem. IE (I cant afford that, or its too loud, or I have more going for me than that...)

Your pics are nice....but I think youre a legend in your own mind...

I'm not afraid of spending money, I just want to do it wisely. I'm not poor but def. not rich. Infact I probably will end up buying the BBR springs. I just hope I consider them with my brain not with my heart.

It is good to see you have on proper riding gear at least.

If you want to spend your money wisely, you may want to look into getting a bike better suited for jumping. Have you ever heard the expression, "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link? If you get stiffer springs, then you will be passing the punishment along to the next weakest link/part in the chain. Even if the YZ85 fairy floated down with a set of new forks to convert your bike, the rest of the bike would still only be made for normal trail riding and would have to accept the punishment the forks would dish out.

It is good to see you have on proper riding gear at least.

If you want to spend your money wisely, you may want to look into getting a bike better suited for jumping. Have you ever heard the expression, "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link? If you get stiffer springs, then you will be passing the punishment along to the next weakest link/part in the chain. Even if the YZ85 fairy floated down with a set of new forks to convert your bike, the rest of the bike would still only be made for normal trail riding and would have to accept the punishment the forks would dish out.

Good insight. I see what you mean. But isn't that what makes riding a motorcycle great. Always modifying it, improving it, thinking about that next adrenaline rush.??

Shawn, you have a way of bottom-lining things. You truly are the man.

For the TTR guy, dont be dissappointed or frustrated. Thats the same thing thousands of us go through after we realize we bought the wrong bike.

There is no easy fix besides spending some money.

You may not have to spend much. Any 125 or 250 dirt bike built since 1985 will have better suspension that the TTR. There is nothing wrong with the TTR, its just the wrong bike for what you are doing.

Shawn, you have a way of bottom-lining things. You truly are the man.

For the TTR guy, dont be dissappointed or frustrated. Thats the same thing thousands of us go through after we realize we bought the wrong bike.

There is no easy fix besides spending some money.

You may not have to spend much. Any 125 or 250 dirt bike built since 1985 will have better suspension that the TTR. There is nothing wrong with the TTR, its just the wrong bike for what you are doing.

RCannon has a brillian point. You'd be better off buying a 1990 XR200-250 and jumping that than the little TTR.

Honestly, a 1990 through 95 YZ or CR isnt that expensive. Id bet you could pick up the whole bike for less than fixing the TTR.

I understand modifying, believe me, nobody understands that more than me...I built a Fourstroke MX bike back in 1976 using an RM 125 Chassis and a hopped up SL100 motor. I put a stroked 125 crank, puched the cylinder to 68mm (I think, what ever the stock 750 honda bore was at the time) and it ended up at 198cc. The head was ported by Powrol and had the powrol cam and mikuni carb...all kinds of stuff. Man that was a fun bike. Ive never ridden a bike that I could slide as well. But...and here's the butt, I was buying transmissions by the arm load. The motor was out of the frame more than it was in it...(might have been the nitro I was running in it too :applause: )

But the point is, while I learned a lot, I didnt get to ride that much...I would have rather ridden...and nothing spoils countless hours in the garage worse than what youve built taking a big shit on ya while your trying to have fun...

I wouldnt trade my purpose built MX bike for anything, except a better purpose built mx bike... :eek:

I think he was just looking for an excuse to post those sweet pics. LMAO.

I think he was just looking for an excuse to post those sweet pics. LMAO.

Nothing gets by you. :eek: j/k

Shawn, I didn't undersand half the stuff you did, I thought you were talking about a car. sounds cool

My dad has an '93 XR 200

My final question: if I get BBR springs, they're only 30% stiffer. But other companies make 60% stiffer so maybe I could use just one spring in my forks. Would that work? :applause:

Just trying to be a smart buyer.

I can get the BBRs for $50 instead of the $77 retail. I have to check the WPS book for 2005 parts to see if they have joker or fast50s.

Preloading will not solve you hard landing situation if you are doing big jumps. Preloading is a good technique to get use to so if you do get a MX bike you will have it down already. On small jumps though, try preloading, you may clear a few.

I have seen OLD TTR's on MX track and jumping pretty impressively. So I will not say it cant be down, just not the best thing for the job. Kinda like using you teeth instead of a bottle openner. Both still work....