Sign in to follow this  

Frustrated with fork oil level

I attempted to change my fork springs. Atleast I successfully pulled the forks off and removed the spring from one of them. I am so lost with how to properly fill the forks with oil. The manual in my opinion is very bizarre on this topic. And I have read through many step by step procedures on thumpertalk and am still very confused. The first step according to the manual is to fill until outer tube top surface with recommended fork oil. This makes no sense. Are they saying to fill with fork oil untill the outer tuber (the gold tube) is fully filled with oil? Right now i have the fork on the bench without the spring in it. All the old oil is out. I attempted to add new oil and just filled it to the top since that's what the manual says... "until outer tube top surface with recommended fork oil". I also removed the air bubbles by pumping the outer tube up and down correctly. I have no clue on how to properly measure the 140mm oil level. Is this with the fork completely compressed or completely extended? Please clue me in I'm very frusterated 🙂

compressed!!!I have used a spray bottle top b4 just mark your level ei.100mm and pump it down till it hits Ur mark.

Compress the fork completely, so the inner tube and outer tube are about even on the top. Dump oil in so the inner tube is full. Pump the rod up and down to suck the oil through the valve into the bottom. The oil level should drop alot, you will probably even have to add more oil just to keep enough oil in there. Keep pumping it until no more oil gets sucked into the bottom (the rod will get harder to move up and down when theres oil in the bottom). Then fill it up until it looks like its about where you want it. Make a dipstick out of something (i used a welding rod because thats all i had handy at the time but anything will work. Mark your desired level on the dipstick and dip it in until your line on your dipstick is flush with the top of the inner tube. If you need to add some, add, if you need to take some out, take some out. The best way that i found to take some out (if you dont have a fork oil level adjuster) is a syringe with a piece of clear tubing on the end about 6"-10" long that i can stick down in there and suck some oil out. Once you get your desired level, let it sit for 10 mins to make sure all the air bubbles are out, and then recheck. If everything is still good, slide the outer tube up and put the cap on.

I do basically the same thing, but in a different order. Drain the fork and pump the oil out of the damper cartridge. With the damper rod and fork compressed, fill it all the way full. Then I work the fork tube up and down several times first, instead of the damper, to be sure that the area between the inner and outer tubes has been completely filled. After that, I pump the air out of te damper and set the oil level as jakedave describes.

The level is checked with all the air pumped out, an the damper and fork compressed. No spring.

Then I work the fork tube up and down several times first, instead of the damper, to be sure that the area between the inner and outer tubes has been completely filled.

I am confused...Do you screw the cap back on to the damper rod and screw the cap back on to the outer tube and then slide it up and down or do you just slide the outer tube up and down a bunch without even touching the damper rod???

Sounds pretty smart I guess..I have never thought about that before..

I am confused...Do you screw the cap back on to the damper rod and screw the cap back on to the outer tube and then slide it up and down or do you just slide the outer tube up and down a bunch without even touching the damper rod???
Neither. I fill the fork and work only the fork tube about half way through the stroke a few times, then grab the damper rod with my fingers and purge the air from it. It's never been quite hard enough to do for me to want to "put a handle" on the rod by screwing the cap back on it.

Looks like you're the smart one this time. :applause: