Sign in to follow this  

Ticking

Today, i was riding my rmz and while i was on my way back to my trailor, i noticed the bike was ticking. This is the third time it has done it and it only ticks when its hot. What could be wrong?

First check the valve clearance. It would be great if you could get a cylinder and head temp while it's ticking too. It is possible that one of the exhaust gaskets are leaking, and it is causing this sound. I know it sounds strange, but trust me, i've seen it happen before.

r u saying like on the exhuast system, maybe where it bolts to the motor?

Yes, check next to the motor and also check between the header and the mid pipe. I just blew out the gasket between the header and midpipe. I had heard a ticking too and went nuts trying to find it, first i thought it was valves, but i checked and they were fine. Then I thought maybe tranny, but nope. Finally it got to the point that it got pretty loud and happened only when the bike was fully warmed up, and then the gasket blew. So now i'm getting some permatex ultra copper for it.

i think my valves r tight cuz the intakes were at .10mm and the exhuast were at 17mm. Also, it was a lil hard to push the guage in on the exhuast side. Time to re-shim the old girl.

well i have the suzuki book that came with the bike and it says for the .17-.22mm or .0055-.0091in. for the exhuast. For the intake its .10-.15mm or .0039-.0075in.

that's right, mind can't remember the numbers, lol good thing we have manuals!

More than likely the motor overheated which made the springs weaker which resulted in the valves slamming into the seats.