Sign in to follow this  

My First Harescramble

I just got back from my first harescramble in Union. First of all I'd like to thank ChinookMark for calming my nerves, I was nervous and after he introduced himself to me I was fine. I followed him to the start and we lined up next to eachother. I'll have to admit, the start line intimidated me especially since we had to do a 180 degree turn about 30 feet in. I had so much fun it was amazing. It was all nasty and muddy I wouldn't have wanted to be on any other bike than my XR. Although after dumping it a few times I realized why e-start is such a nice thing to have, although I can't complain my bike started up perfect all day. I finished the first lap of 4 and I was doing good. I went through the checkpoint and it picked up my transponder but I didn't have enough time to see my position. Half way through the second lap I took the bottom line to let some faster riders by and somehow got off the trail a little. I was in the swampiest mud ever. It tractored through for a good 10 feet and then I got stuck. I sat there for ten minutes and then helped another stuck rider on a KDX get out. He asked if I needed help but I told him to go, I thought I was a lost cause. I left my bike and started walking and found a trail guy to ride back and help me. We got it out and cut out to the road and thats how I got back. I lost my numberplate, bent a brake lever, and broke the mount to my handguards, but it doesn't bother me a bit. I had so much fun and can't wait for the next one. I'm also real glad I decided to keep my XR, no way would I have been nearly half as fast on a 125. Power meant nothing today, I saw plenty of 450s and 2 strokes and they didn't have an advantage on me.

I emailed RockyMountainmc about the handguard mounts as my friend has broken the twice in the same spot. I'm thinking they might replace them. I only need to buy the white number plate and my lever is a good excuse to get some nice shortys. I'm actually not upset that any of this broke.

Sounds like my first harescramble. All muddy. Fun as crap though. Did you have a dead engine start. If so, isnt it sweet when its completely quite and all of the sudden the whole starting line fires up all at once. Nothing on earth like it. Motocross cant even compare in the fun factor area. So what class did you race in? Sounds like you had a time of your life.

That sounds awesome. We've got a GNCC coming up next month. Onlya short one though with 1.5 hours in the morning and 1.5 hours in the afternoon. I can't wait.

I raced C250. I wish I could have seen what position I was in after the first lap, I think I was doing pretty good. Too bad I got stuck in the mud though.

Hmmm, must be a trend, my first HS was really muddy too. Until then I thought anyone who wanted e-start was a wimp, now I think it would be nice to have :applause: It is addicting though, I think I've been to 10 since then (some were enduros)

YoungGunXR:

What about dead start and you have to start from 10 feet in front of your bike and run to get on it first... that was interesting. It does sound cool when a big row takes off.

Joel

That sounds awesome. We've got a GNCC coming up next month. Onlya short one though with 1.5 hours in the morning and 1.5 hours in the afternoon. I can't wait.

Where do you race?

Sounds lie you ahd fun DirtSquirt. :applause:

See if the track or series has a website. Most of the time they will post results for the race and also they will have pictures of the racers out on the track.

Yeah I know where they post the results but they probably won't be up for a while. I looked through the pictures of the race they posted on a separate site and there was like a million pictures but I didn't find myself. Its weird becasue alot of people took my picture.

I have tusk d-flex handguards. The fact that I broke a mount should not detur you from buying them if you want them. I emailed rockymountainmc yesterday and today I had an email in my inbox telling me I should expect a whole new set of mounts on my doorstep in 6-8 days completely free. A harescramble is a race over a track around 6 miles or greater in length. You do as many laps as you can in a set amount of time.

Hey man, glad to hear you had fun. I think I set a new record. Not only did I come in last in our class (33), I came in last overall (168).

My kickstarter won't snap up because it binds on the newly bent footpeg, and I think I blew a case gasket. My bike pisses oil from underneath the clutch. I have no complaints at all about how my bike ran -- when it ran. That thing did not want to start at all that day. I was stranded after the water crossing for well over 20 minutes. For that alone I am seriously considering a new bike with the magic button.

Oh yeah, I went through all 323 photos, and I didn't see any of you. There's one of me near the end, and two of a guy on an XR400. You could take one of those and tell all your friends it's you. :applause: I think we'll have better luck with the photos next time when we finish more than one lap. :eek:

Hey man, glad to hear you had fun. I think I set a new record. Not only did I come in last in our class (33), I came in last overall (168).

My kickstarter won't snap up because it binds on the newly bent footpeg, and I think I blew a case gasket. My bike pisses oil from underneath the clutch. I have no complaints at all about how my bike ran -- when it ran. That thing did not want to start at all that day. I was stranded after the water crossing for well over 20 minutes. For that alone I am seriously considering a new bike with the magic button.

Oh yeah, I went through all 323 photos, and I didn't see any of you. There's one of me near the end, and two of a guy on an XR400. You could take one of those and tell all your friends it's you. :applause: I think we'll have better luck with the photos next time when we finish more than one lap. :eek:

Sorry to hear about your bike. My mom said you looked a little discouraged after the water crossing. I'd hate to see you go to an X or something of the sort but you have to do what you have to do. I would have killed for electric start on that day too, but my bike always fired right up. I looked through all of the photos too. I was all excited because I saw a lot of people take my picture. When I didn't find myself I assumed it had to do with the only completing 1 lap aswell. I still don't know where I finished. Although it couldn't have been far ahead of you since I'm sure not many people only completed 1 lap.