Sign in to follow this  

Broken bolt in triple clamp!

I need a little guidance with this one. I was using a torque wrench to tighten the forks into the clamps when one snapped off. I was able to drill it out but now I have to tap the hole. I ride an '01 YZ250F, what size tap do I use (9mm)? How far apart do the threads need to be (1 or 1.5)? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Why not take off a bolt that goes on the triple clamp and use that as a guide?

FYI, you could have used a screw extractor and saved the threads.

a helicoil would be the best fix as it brings the thread back to the 8mm x 1.25mm pitch bolt as it was previously. they also make the thread stronger because the coil insert is stainless steel. also perform the work from the threaded side of the clamp as the tap you'll need to use is oversize (basically the process is drill out the old thread, screw in helicoil, break off tang on coil, screw bolt back in and go riding again) and wont fit thru the non threaded side of the clamp. any bike shop could do the work for you too but by the time you pay for the time in the shop you could have bought the kit and the drill to do it yourself and you'll have spare inserts that may come in handy later on

Sounds like a good excuse for some anodized aftermarket clamps.

i did the same thing on my '03 ... just re-tapped it and heli-coiled it (pardon my non-mechanic lingo ... cuz i ain't one) with about the same size (don't recall exactly the size) and it worked perfectly.

I did buy some replacement stock clamps on ebay (that i still have) in the event my tapp'ing didn't pan out ... but all was well.

I know you know this now, but these bolts dont do well with a torque wrench. If the least little bit of oil gets on them you'll strip the threads or break the bolt before you get the proper level on the wrench. I usually set these for about 75% of the proper torque if the bolts are lubricated.