Sign in to follow this  

crf450x vs. wr450

i just traded my crf450 in for a 2005 wr450 . i could not be bothered constantly checking valves (2004 mdl crf). riding a bike should be fun not a maintenance nightmare. the wr only requires checking every 1000kms not every 6hrs like a crf.

what color do you like and which is more comfy when you sit on it? I have a 03 crf that I have only checked the valves once since new, they were where they were supposed to be.

Something to remember is that the valve checking guidelines in the manual are for racing conditions. If the bike is starting and running okay, I feel pretty safe doing it much less frequently, and do so.

ive ridden both and currently have the 450x and there is no comparison, the 450x is much better in all areas IMO, theres really no comparison IMO, it just does everything that much better. The maintenance stuff is not that big of deal and i think gets over hyped too much

In all the comparisions done by the media the WR came in first or ahead of the X except in the comparo in Dirt Rider mag.

I've had 3 mid size KTM RFS, and have spent a few hundred miles on WR 450's ('04 & '05). I just finished a 300 mile ride where I rode the '05 WR 450 and the 450 X back to back, in all types of terrain in Colorado. No contest, CRF 450 X is my favorite of the 3. Way smoother, more nimble, best suspension. I'm gonna' buy one.

I've had 3 mid size KTM RFS, and have spent a few hundred miles on WR 450's ('04 & '05). I just finished a 300 mile ride where I rode the '05 WR 450 and the 450 X back to back, in all types of terrain in Colorado. No contest, CRF 450 X is my favorite of the 3. Way smoother, more nimble, best suspension. I'm gonna' buy one.

there ya have it!!! :applause:

Both are damn good. The 05 WR is way better than the 03/04 models (suspension , turning and tank ergonomics). I think the decision comes down to which brand works better for you - local dealer support and parts pricing policies.

On the prettiness/eye candy scale, I'd pick the CRFX every time.

Meant to add. If engine "top end" reliability is your biggest concern, then stick with the WR.

Mine is two years old now, 7000km of hard riding logged and only now am I having to replace inlet valves.

being a dedicated blue bike rider and trying to be impartial, which is kinda hard, cos having ridden a cr250 and cr500 that belong to a m8, and being impressed only by the handling. i dialled in my wr450 which is currently in yzf trim to suit my riding and i got a compliment off the owner of the cr's (he hates blue bikes and said it was the best yammy he'd ridden)

the point i'm trying to make is that its horses for courses. beg, borrow, steal (maybe not, bike thieves should be shot!) or whatever it takes to test ride one of each bike in the terrain that you ride most commonly and make your decision based on your own experience. i test rode a atk 450mx and loved it, but the things werent complianced so i went back to my original plan of the '04 wr450 (the crfx wasnt available in australia at that point and the 7hr piston life so cheerfully pointed out by the honda rep sent the very concept down like a lead balloon)

in any case the best person to make a judgement on your new bike is you, if your local dealer wants your business they'll hook you up with some test rides. good luck with your new bike too