Sign in to follow this  

How many of you wrench on your own stuff?

Hey gals-

I was just wondering how many of you actually wrench on your own bikes. I just did my first jetting job this morning/afternoon and I found it to be really fun and a confidence builder that I did it without any help. I was just wondering how many of you work on your bikes with or without help 🙂

-Mary 🙂

I do! I always preferred to be "hands-on". I do NOT want to be the helpless girl waiting for someone to rescue me. Bikes are new to me, and I'm glad I have a SO who will teach me how to work on it - he does go and just work on it without me too, but I'd rather learn to do it myself. I have a 4x4 that I've been wheeling for years, and that I'm comfortable doing just about anything on from maintenance to repairs. I do my own work on my snowmobile, too, but of course need a little help sometimes. It's really very interesting stuff! That's great that you are getting involved 🙂

One of the things I really like about my CRF150 (188) is that it's pretty easy to work on. I definitely do all the basic maintenance myself (oil changes/air filter cleaning, etc) and also do things like any sprocket changes, check the valve clearances, jetting, etc...

Tire changes, 🙂 wellllllllll... na, I leave those for my husband. In exchange, I wash his bike and do the air filters for him too. 🙂

Hey gals-

I was just wondering how many of you actually wrench on your own bikes. I just did my first jetting job this morning/afternoon and I found it to be really fun and a confidence builder that I did it without any help. I was just wondering how many of you work on your bikes with or without help 🙂

-Mary :D

On the dirt bike, I guess I'd try to do anything, so far I've found that the manual is pretty darn good! I'll change clamps/levers/bars/take off tires/oil change/air filter cleaning/decompression plugs/lubed linkage, basic stuff, sometimes by myself and sometimes have someone nearby the first time, but I haven't really messed with the carbs other than fuel/air mixture... oh, yeah, I've replaced plastics and at one point had to have my FOOTPEG welded so I stripped off the tank and disconnected all the electrical... its amazing how EASY the dirtbikes are to work on!

Compared with my street bike... UGH!! Its 20 minutes to GET TO the airfilter on that beast! 🙂 Next street bike, I'm goin' naked!!

Oh, hey, I've got to redo the jetting and/or air/fuel mixtures on ALL FOUR of my in-line four Suzuki carbs one of these days... can you come over and help me change the main jets??? :D

I do all the basic maintainence on my own. When I needed a new clutch, I got help. Seeing and doing is easier than reading it.

I do all my own bike work from basic maintance to clutches and top-ends. I learned from a combination of my ex-husband, good service manuals and friends.

I do all my own work. I'm 17 owned 3 bikes. I've never got to do a topend yet, but have did head gaskets. I got an XR200 so i'm kinda bummed i dont get a chance to learn to do a topend. I work on my truck too. I've changes oil/filters, brake lines, fuel pump/lines, tranmission filters, driveshafts, brake hydra vac (with my uncle's help on getting the dang pedal out of the way), oh yeah and TIRES!!! Not with a tiremachine either. I'm talking dish soap, a sledge hammer, a big flat head screw driver, and a pry bar. And to mount them, some ether and a match.

By the way, i like to learn from reading better than anything beaucse my dad yells more then teaches, and as far as bikes go, he dont buy 'em and he dont fix 'em.

🙂

my dad was a carpenter

no way I'd let him come near my bike

one vacation he drownded the outboard motor of our dinghy

he and his friend, a surgeon, took the carburator apart and lost the

carburet needle (correct term? schwimmernadel)

so he honestly carved one 🙂

of course it did not work

and we had to use wood-wind the rest of our stay

but

to this day, when one of us looks for something hard to find

he'll get advised 'to simply carve it'

I do all of the basic stuff, then I take it to my cousin and he helps me do the more complicated stuff. It's pretty fun working on the bike!

I do everything I can. There's a few things I've taken it in for like bearings that need to be pressed and when my chain adjuster was frozen in the swingarm. And*I despise tires so i take it in for that too. I bought a book on maintenance and it has some pretty good info. Back in my hot rod days I did everything on my Mustang so I kind of don't like being less knowledgeable about the bike!

UUUMMMMMMm, I wouldn't change a tire to save my life....I watched as the old man did one for the first time on his yz450f. FOR GET IT!! Torque Center does it for $10.00 well spent! I love to work on my bike when ever I get the chance. If I break it...I want to fix it! Thank God I have a SO that is a great teacher!

I enjoy working on my bikes. I try to do as much as I can. (Time is my problem) My grandfather and great grandfather were mechanics along with other members of the family. My grandparents lived across the street and would watch me and my sister. My best memories of grandpa was working on old cars and motorcycles. I could pack a bearing by the age of 5. I love the smell of gasoline. He had a old yellow trail 90 and a super 90. We would go riding at the cabin, by Mt. Rainer. After grandpa died I carried the family tradition of wrenching. High school AG Mech. class and state team. Diesel mechanic school for 2 years at a community college. I cant think of a time in my life that I haven't had a tool in my pocket or bag. I no longer get paid to turn a wrench but it helped me get my current job. Trains. If something breaks I can always fix it or the mechanical dept. on the radio walks me threw it. Using a manual is a big help. With my current bike, alot comes from TT members which is awesome. Thankyou for your help guys.

I do most of the basic stuff. I was constantly taking things apart and putting them back together when I was kid so its almost natural to me. Dad was always fixing or building something so if I had a choice of hanging in the garage with Dad or shopping with mom, the garage always won.

TIRES NO!!!!!! The last time I tried that myself I clocked myself in the forehead with a flying tire iron......

I do the basic maintenance stuff myself (oil change, filter clean, etc). I haven't had to do anything major to him yet and hopefully not anytime soon either.

Kim

TIRES NO!!!!!! The last time I tried that myself I clocked myself in the forehead with a flying tire iron......

HAHAHA That's AWESOME, I do stuff like that all the time! Then I have to come into work and explain why I have buises or bandaids. I'm sure they think my boyfriend beats me.

I do everything on my bike with supervision of my boyfriend. I got at '93 XR200 so it needs a little more care than most bikes which is okay because it means I learn how to do more things!