The ¨best¨ oil in the world....

He said with stars in his eyes...

No seriously, I heard from a Porsche mechanic that the best oil made anywhere was not a sythetic at all, but a dino oil that is made by a company called Lubrication Engineers, and the oil is called Monotech. He said it tests better than any synthetic, I wonder if it´s too slick for a clutch? Anyone???

Laterz,

Mark...

Any one tried the Shell Helix Ultra in a bike? Full Synthetic, recommended for high speed, high temp, high load diesel and gas engines. Sounds about right for a bike as long as the moly content is low enough to preclude any clutch problems.

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=sg-en&FC2=/sg-en/html/iwgen/leftnavs/zzz_lhn4_5_6.html&FC3=/sg-en/tailored/shell_for_motorists/oils_lubricants/helix_rrr/products_ga_1509.html

The only problem is price - the best I've seen for the Shell Helix is $50 per quart if you bought by the case! :applause:

I can't imagine that the extra price would pay off in a group like this that generally changes their oil every 500 or fewer miles, especially with those that use a premium synthetic.

Since they've stopped selling Mobil1 redtop (15W-50), I have been using the Shell Rotella T Sythetic (15W-40) and it feels the same. I have not noticed any changes in oil consumption, coolant levels or deposits on the magnetic drain plug. I have noticed the price drop though - the Rotella is $13.46/gallon jug at the local Walmart, less than half of the Mobil1 price at good times.

Jim

The only problem is price - the best I've seen for the Shell Helix is $50 per quart if you bought by the case! :applause:

I can't imagine that the extra price would pay off in a group like this that generally changes their oil every 500 or fewer miles, especially with those that use a premium synthetic.

Since they've stopped selling Mobil1 redtop (15W-50), I have been using the Shell Rotella T Sythetic (15W-40) and it feels the same. I have not noticed any changes in oil consumption, coolant levels or deposits on the magnetic drain plug. I have noticed the price drop though - the Rotella is $13.46/gallon jug at the local Walmart, less than half of the Mobil1 price at good times.

Jim

I just had an oil analysis run on the old Mobil red cap 15w-50 and the new Mobil gold cap 15w-50 and they are the same oil. The analysis is posted over on the YZ450 thread. Marketing 101.

Shell Helix at $50/quart :eek:?? No wonder why it isn't being used by any riders.

50 per quart? :applause: Who uses this stuff?

Shell Helix Ultra F1, so I guess the F1 racers??? They are probably the only ones that can afford it. My son just informed me that it is the oil specified if you own a new Ferarri.

Shell Helix Ultra F1, so I guess the F1 racers??? They are probably the only ones that can afford it. My son just informed me that it is the oil specified if you own a new Ferarri.

Now this just doesnt make sense to me :applause: Are Ferrari saying that their engines are so poorly built that it needs this sooper dooper fantastic oil, but a normal sports car is better built because it can use oil of a lesser quality. Or is it just a big load of B.S that you have to spend a heap on oil bcause the car is soo expensive lol :eek:

After break in, I thought that yamalube 10 w 50r semi synthetic was supposed to be the best all around oil for the motor and the clutch??? Right now I just run regular yamalube 10w30 until I get 1000 miles on it. I change my oil every 300 miles. Use vesrah oil filters.

Now this just doesnt make sense to me :applause: Are Ferrari saying that their engines are so poorly built that it needs this sooper dooper fantastic oil, but a normal sports car is better built because it can use oil of a lesser quality. Or is it just a big load of B.S that you have to spend a heap on oil bcause the car is soo expensive lol ?

You're looking at it in an entirely wrong way.

Ferrari engines poor built?? yeah.. :eek:

First a ferarri is not a normal sport cars, it's costs three times as much for a reason. Think about something if you own a ferrari, the price of the oil you buy doesn't matter, trust me my best friends dad owns two.

No Im not thinking about it the wrong way-the ferrari cost three times as much because of the name. If you watch the open class racing they are continuously flogged, the quality of oil needed is dependent on how highly strung the engine is, and there are plenty of engines just as if not more highly strung than what they are running.

Its like saying a MV Augusta needs a more expensive oil than your run of the mill R1 just because the MV cost 3 times as much as the R1!! Its the engine that dictate the oil requirments, not the badge on the front :applause: