Sign in to follow this  

is it hard to switch from 450F to 250f between motos

hey guys im going to be buying my 06 yz450f (yellow) in nov. and im going to be racing 125c and 250c next year, but im just wondering how hard is it to switch from one bike to another, or is it not hard at all. my 250f is a 04

thank guys.

PS im stuck in my house cuz i messed my knee up and im just thinking of next season cuz im so bored...

I know a guy who was trying to race pro 125 and 250 class and just couldnt do it. he said that after racing the 125 moto that the 250 just seemed too much harder and after the 250 the 125 wouldnt pull as good as the 250.

I've known a couple people who did it. Said it was kinda tough, but wasn't to bad. And he was riding a 250f and 250 smoker

I never had issues going from my CRF to a yz125.

it's different but u get used to it in 1/2 a lap.

its hard as crap as first. the 450s have REALLY differant power caracteristics than the 250fs. if you have ridden one then you will know what i mean. when i ride my 450 i feel like a novice rider can beat me but i kill everybody. i dunno. everyone tells me that i feel slow because i am smooth. but anyway when i ride both bikes back to back the 250f is the hardest to get used to because of the lack of power. but if you are going to ride a 04 250f and a 06 450 its going to be extreamly hard to ride them both in the same day(IMO) because the 06 is totally different than to 04 . different frame, different engine, and a totally different feel.

this is what you do... ride the 450, and let me ride the 250 🙂 .... seems like a good idea? oh well, but its gonna be a little tough going from a bike that has so much power to a 250... its gonna feel WAY underpowered.. good luck 🙂

Riding the 450 will tire you out.... In the 90's I raced a cr125 and cr250 on the same day. I never got as comfortable on the 250, and it felt heavy and beat me up during the first moto. I usually ran the second motos on the 125. My results were better, and nobody dared complain about being beat by half the bike. If the race steward gives you trouble, just make up something that could have broken on the bigger bike..... it only happened to me once that whole season.

The hardest part was affording both bikes ( chains and sprockets, tires, clutches, all seemed to wear out at the same times)

You just have to practise heaps. Practise switching from bike to bike. It also helps if you put the same bars on each bike, with the same lever position, and same suspension set up.

after getting off the 450, you should be able to ride the heck out of that 250f. It's not as hard as people think....

I asked a top 20 pro about riding a 450 and 250F in the same weekend. He said when he first did it things didn't go so well, but after a weekend or two riding both bikes on the same day and track he says it's no big deal.

yea i would be bring both bikes to openpractice so i can get use to riding both in teh same day and stuff.