Sign in to follow this  

Tranny problem

Today I was out riding and after riding for a 4-5 hours I was on the track and pulled over to take a breather.When I started it back up and went to take off it went a few feet then stalled.Started it up again and same thing happened, after it went a few feet kinda felt like the trans was binding on something.I put it in nuetral and it would stay in gear, it would make the half click up but the trans was still ingauged.I removed the chain and got towed back in.When i got back to the pits I put the chain back on and was trying to figure out what was wrong, I thought it was a clutch problem but its not.If i start it up and hold in the clutch everything is fine, which leads me to beleive the clutch is ok.But when i go to let out the clutch it rolls a few feet then it feels like something in the trans binds.Even with the engine off and holding in the clutch it rolls a little then stops.Only thing I can think of is something in the trans let go and is getting wedged in the gears.Weird part is it was fine, I pulled over to rest and when I went back out thats when I noticed the problem.

The motor is and 05 crf450 and is completley stock

Any Ideas????????

Are you sure there's enough trans oil in it? How did you check it?

yes there was enough oil in it.

i check it by removing the chrck bolt on the side of the case.

i found the problem, one of the gears, seized on the counter shaft.dont know what caused it though.

Are you filling the trans till it comes out the check bolt? Then restarting it, waiting a few minutes and then pouring it in again till it comes out the hole.

Most guys just run 700-800cc's of oil and just pour it in w/o using that stupid check bolt.

no, i just fill it until it comes out of the check bolt hole.i dont remember the manual saying to start it and recheck, it only says to do that on the motor side.

just curious, how low was i running it?another words after i start it and recheck how much do you usually add>?

It's been so long since I did it that way I don't remember.

When you put the trans oil in after the rebuild check it that way.

Remember, your trans will take much more oil this time because you disassembled the motor.

You do not need to use the check bolt, just pour in 20 ounces on the tranny side after each oil change. Just make sure you give the motor plenty of time to drain all the oil out.

thanks guys for the info guys.

I found the problem, one of the gears seized on the counter shaft.Its a gear that doesnt use a collar or anything gear just sits on the shaft.Why would this happen???Could it be from the lack of oil you guys think im running in there?