Bicycle speedometer

Has anyone ever put a bicycle speedometer on a dirtbike? It seems like it should work, a magnet on a spoke, a sensor on a fork, punch in the circumference of your tire and it calculates your speed. It seems like a cheap alternative to the expensive digital computers that seem to be all i can find. I juts think it would be cool to know how fast I'm going. Would it work or can't those little things handle speeds higher than say, 30 mph? If they would work does anyone know what brands would be good?

I was looking around and thought, if a bicycle speedo will work, will a bicycle headlight work? I'm not planning on riding at night, but sometimes we ride and it doesn't seem dark, but then we go to ride home through the woods and it gets dark ver quickly.

can't those little things handle speeds higher than say, 30 mph? If they would work does anyone know what brands would be good?

I used an Avocet 45tt on my CBR 900 - good up to 400 mph at .1 mph increments. I only saw 155... :applause:

No, you can set them for KPH or MPH. The max speed memory is also nice because you can wait until after you've cleared a section to look down and see how fast you went. I had a Cateye mounted next to my throttle so I could operate the stopwatch without taking my hand off the grip.

I have a cheap ($15) bicycle speedo on every dirt bike I own. They work great. The ones I use give speed, max speed, average speed, odometer, trip meter as well as clock . I had to lengthen the wires and ran them up the front brake line. I've used them to check bike settings on the track to see which settings were faster lap times.

• 1 year later...

Since this thread has been resurrected, I figure I might as well comment on how the idea faired. It was really cool at first, then after about 100 miles I wrecked on a wheelie and snapped the wire. I bought the heavy duty wire kit and the next ride out my makeshift mounting system (Read as: Cardboard shims) got wet and the sensor started dangling around. I have yet to fix it, but I'm thinking of using rubber tubing to shim the sensor this time. All in all, if you need a foolproof system for enduros or h/s and can afford it, get the trailtech, if you want it for kicks and giggles and don't wnat to shell out 70 hard earned dollars, give it a try, if you do it right it works well.