Sign in to follow this  

280 Kit done...

Ok Finally done with the 280 kit and did the first break in today. Even keeping on half throttle I can tell a great power difference. Third gear is now perfect. It's fast but also has tons of torque. I was goin up hills much easier and faster using third gear now because of the extra torque and that was just going half throttle! I tried to keep the RPMs down while i was riding today and took three breaks to let my bike cool some. I definetly am looking forward to riding it at its full potential. You can just tell the bike now has much bigger balls. It's great. Now for a question. How many tanks of gas should I run through it before its fully broken in? How will I know when it is broken in?

One random question... To put my decompression lever and cable back onto the engine, do I need to put the bike in TDC to do that or can i just connect it? Thanks!!

P.S. When should I change over to fully synthetic?

One random question... To put my decompression lever and cable back onto the engine, do I need to put the bike in TDC to do that or can i just connect it? Thanks!!

yes , to make sure you have sufficient clearance

P.S. When should I change over to fully synthetic?

only after 3-4 oil changes, and the motor is fully broken in.

check your jetting you might be surprised to find out you'll have to go leaner. on main jet

Hmm.... I'll do that but the jetting seemed fine. Can i go to TDC using the kickstarter instead of doing the flywheel thing?

Hmm.... I'll do that but the jetting seemed fine. Can i go to TDC using the kickstarter instead of doing the flywheel thing?

the flywheel is 100% because you can control the rotation and position, you have no way to control the crankshaft with the kickstart, if it decides to go past the mark it can be an endless job.

stu

check your jetting you might be surprised to find out you'll have to go leaner. on main jet

Can jetting even its self out? Like you do the big bore and go down on MJ, but open up intake and exhaust meaning go back up a jet?

PS: I have carby's. Bring on EFI.

be sure you vary throttle position during break in.

you don't want to keep it in one location.

also, try not to load the motor much.

no hills, keep it on the flats.

I was amazed at how far down I had to go with my jetting. I was running a 125 main, 42 idle jets on my 250. When I first installed the 280 with a new MegaCycle cam, I increased the main to 128. It was extremely rich and barely ran. I kept changing the jets down, down, down to where I now THINK I have it right at 120/38. I think that is the stock jetting for a stock 250.

Dave

Hey, did you buy a big bore kit or just a piston not including gaskets and stuff. Also what kind is it?? I was going to go with the XRs only kit with 77 instead of 78 with a 10:5:1 compression. Did you also get a cam??

Sweet ride Brock :eek: This weekend im going to finish putting together my bike and it will be a 426 :applause:

http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm

This article that really goes indepth into breakin procedure. Its main point is to not let the engine get too hot during breakin or the cylinder will glaze over and the rings wont seal perfectly.