KTM 400EXC vs. 450EXC?

? both are awesome...i am sure, but which one should i buy?...I have tried without success to find any tid bit of info on the 400EXC. i ahve read some things on a 450EXC, but i do nt want to rule out a 400EXC. I heard that the 400EXc handles way better on single track and tight stuff?...any truth?...I am going to buy an 05 of either one, but i cannot make up my mind?...i am 5'9" and 200lbs., if this matters...thanks

From what i understand the power on the 400 is more mellow and that makes it easier to ride on tight trails all day long!

The 450 is supposed to have a little more hit to the power. Since i am coming off a moded crf450 i think the 450exc's power is magic compared to my honda. Really nice and smooth power. I can't imagine a bike thats easier to ride but i hear the 400 is even smoother than my 450. Maybe in a few more years when i am really old and tired i will look into getting a 400.

The 450 is a little lighter, not sure why?

the re-sale on the 450 will be higher.

I suppose it all depends on the terrain you are riding in. If all you ride is tight single track stuff then the 400 might be the way to go because of the smoother power it supposidly has. I ride a lot of tight single track stuff and i have no problems with how my 450 handles.

no matter what bike you get, the 400 or 450. you will have to re-jett it and at least put stiffer fork springs in and put a 13 tooth counter shaft sprocket on.

My first ride on the bike i had already re-jetted ( jd jet kit) and put in .48kg front springs and lowered the oil hight( i am 220# ). The stock gearing ( 14/50) was a little high so on my second ride i went 13/50 on the gearing and it was much better.

You might also want to high temp silicon seal the head/header & header/muffler connections as they tends to leak in cold air that causes a slight popping/backfire.

i to had the same decision to make just a few weeks ago and the 400 was recomended to me. The dealer i went to didn't have a 400 so i bought the 450.

2 rides and 87 miles trail miles later i can honestly say this is the best bike i have ever had or ridden so far! you'll be happy with either bike, i promise!

why was the 400 recommended to you?...i am coming off a 2002YZ426F...i have alos owned CRF450F...what is the difference with the KTM?....it weighs about the same,, but i have had people tell me it feels way lighter?...my 426 had tremendous hit, my CRF450 was alittle more roll on....bu how will the KTM differ?....thanks for all the help, i appreciate it

why was the 400 recommended to you?...i am coming off a 2002YZ426F...i have alos owned CRF450F...what is the difference with the KTM?....it weighs about the same,, but i have had people tell me it feels way lighter?...my 426 had tremendous hit, my CRF450 was alittle more roll on....bu how will the KTM differ?....thanks for all the help, i appreciate it

The EXC is not a track bike like the YZ or CRF. What kind of riding are you going to be doing? Just asking because the SX may be more suited to you or maybe even the MXC.

If you are after the wide ratio tranny of the EXC & still want to do some track you'll want the hit of the 450 over the 400. For me the 400 is perfect but I don't do much track riding.

:applause:

I'm on my 3rd 400exc. There is no doubt the 400 feels more flickable in the woods and is much more linear in its power delivery than the 450.

I think the 450 is actually more fun over all to ride than the 400 but the 400 is less tiring and I believe a lot faster in the woods. I ride a 200exc for excitement and the 400 for all day trail riding. :applause:

Gyroscope! The 400 is by far the best tight woods four stroke bike I have ever ridden. Little engine breaking and the short stroke motor does not resist quick left right transitions like the bigger 450 and 525 motors. Plenty of electric like smooth power. Makes my other bikes feel like dump trucks in tight woods! :applause:

Biegone,

I recently switched form a 2004 450 EXC with Enduro Engineering suspension

to a 2005 400 EXC and here is what I think ;

The 400 has easier / smoother power if you are coming off of a 250 four stroke bike it would compare to having a big bore kit in it, as it revs quicker than the 450 but there is no real hit to the powerband. It is easier to ride aggressively for a longer time than the 450 the midrange hit on the 450 though not as hard as jap bike is still a little more to hold on to in the tight section I thought. I can charge the corners twice as fast on the 400 than I

could on the 450, but is it the new frame or just seems lighter but it works.

no matter what bike you get, the 400 or 450. you will have to re-jett it and at least put stiffer fork springs in and put a 13 tooth counter shaft sprocket on.

I disagree with the spring change as I am very close to the same weight and the stock 05 suspension is better than the Enduro Engineering suspension that

I had set up for me, no revalve or respring needed on the 2005 bikes.

The 13 tooth counter sprocket will wear out extemely quicker and also wear the chain wear block out in a couple of months, I added 2 teeth to the back

sprocket and it is perfect.

J.D. jet kit is mandatory and makes a world of difference and I would recommend putting the Honda or Yamaha diaphram in the accelerator pump it help clean up the low end on mine and improved the gas mileage tremendously.

So far I love the 400 it is easier to ride hard for a longer time yet it has

more than enough for any hill or mud hole.

W_W_2

I have a 05 525exc and have had my yz 426 since 2000. I can ride the 525 harder and faster alot longer than the yamaha on single track. Its alot smoother and doesn't tug you off the rear so much but still rips when you want it to. My 426 is real fast and the ktm doesn't give up much on the bottom but would dust it on top.

Ah-Ha I thought I'd find out how you like the 400 over the 450 if I waited long enough WW2. (Its the new frame really )

Smudge,

Hopefully the weather will cooperate for the July 22 ride at Aledo and I will let you take the 400 for a ride, it so much more fun to ride than the 450 but

that just coould be in my mind :eek:

If I was going to but a new bike :applause: it would be a 400 ..........

W_W_2

You dont need to put a 13t cs sprocket on the 450,the 400 yeah, but not 450, it has that little bit of extra power that I think does not require it.

Plus putting on a 13t cs will wear out your chain slider much faster And KTM doesn't even list 13t sprocket for a 4st but the 2st sprocket will fit.

Stay with the 14t cs and go up in the rear.

You dont need to put a 13t cs sprocket on the 450,the 400 yeah, but not 450, it has that little bit of extra power that I think does not require it.

Plus putting on a 13t cs will wear out your chain slider much faster And KTM doesn't even list 13t sprocket for a 4st but the 2st sprocket will fit.

Stay with the 14t cs and go up in the rear.

The 13 tooth CS has nothing to do with power, it's all about low speed technical riding without using the clutch as much. I ran a 13/52 on my old 520 for the same reason. Even with this combination the bikes still have a respectable top end speed.

Smudge,

Hopefully the weather will cooperate for the July 22 ride at Aledo and I will let you take the 400 for a ride, it so much more fun to ride than the 450 but

that just coould be in my mind :eek:

If I was going to but a new bike :applause: it would be a 400 ..........

W_W_2

Kev and I are starting to work out the details for this little trip, can't wait. My forks are so screwed up on the 450, you can't ride it the front end just washes out.

The 13 tooth CS has nothing to do with power, it's all about low speed technical riding without using the clutch as much. I ran a 13/52 on my old 520 for the same reason. Even with this combination the bikes still have a respectable top end speed.

I agree. For the tight technical stuff, it seems quite a few of us prefer the 13:52 gearing on all the RFS's. I had 13:52 on my 400E and have it on my 450E and think it's perfect. Yes, you do go through more of the 13t's and some (relatively cheap) swingarm buffers but that's the price I'm willing to pay to be geared correctly for the riding I do.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a weekend trip to Taylor Park and the 13/52 gearing was perfect for the technical, rocky trails we kept ending up on (don't think there are any other kind there). Thanks to all of the tips from others here and at ktmtalk. com for the gearing which worked out great for us.

I've recently ridden the 450 (and the owner rode my 400) and we both felt the powerband on the 400 was smoother, and plenty adequate, and the bike just felt lighter. Not sure I could tell a difference other that with a head to head comparison.

I just bought the 400exc about a month ago and the bike is perfect. I thought the suspension and jetting were just fine. Both bikes are great but for long rides the 400 wont wear you out as fast. I think either one would be fine.

Have 400E with a 13/53 and the Jd Jet kit I ride mostly tight single track with lots of roots a steep rock sections and the 400E works Great. I had the 450 & 525 and both seem to waer me out much faster in the woods. the 525 with supermoto tires cant be beat for street fun. but for woods the 400E is the shiz.