Sign in to follow this  

bad accident: Bent front forks

well i just got home from my cottage today and im glad i didnt have a bike.. my cousin was out riding and had a nasty spill.. he came out of a ditch on his pit bike xr100 and i guess bottomed out and the chain fell off and caught and stopped the back wheel.. well he started sliding on the pavement road in 5th gear, 🙂. hes got some pretty bad road rash down his right side and his elbow is pretty cut up.. he get better though. o ya and his buddies were driving in a car with him, so he got help quick. The thing is now the front forks are slightly bent(biggest problem) (those tough 100's 🙂) so i was wondering how do you fix twisted forks?

well i just got home from my cottage today and im glad i didnt have a bike.. my cousin was out riding and had a nasty spill.. he came out of a ditch on his pit bike xr100 and i guess bottomed out and the chain fell off and caught and stopped the back wheel.. well he started sliding on the pavement road in 5th gear, 🙂. hes got some pretty bad road rash down his right side and his elbow is pretty cut up.. he get better though. o ya and his buddies were driving in a car with him, so he got help quick. The thing is now the front forks are slightly bent(biggest problem) (those tough 100's 🙂) so i was wondering how do you fix twisted forks?

Did his insurance company think he had a hard time eating with a bent fork? :D

happens on mx bikes all the time. the easiest thing to do it go up to a tree and hit the front wheel up against it from the side. that straightened my forks out when i twisted them on my yz125.

try that first their are other methods but they involve much more time and tools 🙂

alright thanks ttr125, well i sorta tried that way... i used my feet and slightly bent it back in place.. it was ridable.. but when i got it started and tried to go the chain fell right off 🙂 , so whats the safest way to do it.. just incase the tree banging doesnt work, its also not my bike

Thats why I stay away from paved roads, Ive marked myself up and ruined some plastic doing this-but I fixed it up-ruined a jersey and gloves too

Ya he didnt look to well after it either.. he'll be out for a good time.. soo what other ways are there to fix bent forks? you just twist them back and there fine? they dont seem too been its just a little of to the right when the handle bars are straight

alright thanks ttr125, well i sorta tried that way... i used my feet and slightly bent it back in place.. it was ridable.. but when i got it started and tried to go the chain fell right off :eek: , so whats the safest way to do it.. just incase the tree banging doesnt work, its also not my bike

What do bent frt forks have anything to do with the chain coming off :applause:

o no it doesnt, that was from another problem, which i think was caused by a bent peg in the way, hopefully. never really had the chance to look at it good... by the looks of the bike, the bent forks looked like the worst part.. and they arent soo bad :applause:

Do this:

Loosen the axle bolts on both sides (dont need to remove)

Loosen the bottom triple clamp bolts

Grab the front brake and compress the suspension as hard as you can several times.

Tighten everything back up. Assuming the actual metal isnt bent and the forks just twisted, this'll fix it.

Thanks Rannoch, thats what i was looking for if the banging it back into place doesnt work.. ill try that out too