Sign in to follow this  

How much is a ;icense plate really worth?

I have a bit of a dilemma. I have a street-legal '97 CR500. I have been kicking around selling it with the thought of getting 2 smaller displacement woods bikes (kdx or 200/300 exc's) for my dad and me. If I did it, I'm hoping to get around $4k. However, if I sell it, I know that getting another street-legal mx-type bike will be extremely difficult due to the increasingly prohibitive nature of getting a legal plate. Also, bikes already plated are getting more expensive. At this point I haven't really ridden on the street with it (nothing screams "PULL ME OVER" like big-bore 2-stroke 🙂 ) but I always like having the option for big loops. My questions are, first, would you sell it? Second, if you did would you eventually regret doing it? Finally, those of you with street-legal bikes that weren't sold new with a license, how often do you actually ride on the road with them? Thanks for any input.

Seriously, a CR500 with a plate. 🙂 If I were you I would hold on to that bike. Like you said the plates are getting harder to get. And you know the first bikes they will go after are 2 strokes. 🙂 Some day that thing will be worth a fortune. I have a plate on my DRZ400E and it was worth the work to plate it. I would say almost every ride I go on I do at least a little paved road. Makes it easier to make loops.

The plate thing is great but it's not that hard to get one if you are a little resourceful. The 97 CR is getting older and more dated every year. If you want to see what it's worth, put it up and you might be surprised. A CR isnt a good woods bike and it's not much fun on the street. I sold my sons plated crf 150 this year and my plated xr 400. If anyone wants a plated bike of almost any make, just look on traderonline.com. You'll see plated KTM's a year old in CA for 7000-8000. But those bikes are more in the first place when compared to other brands. Figure in the cost of a Dual sport kit and extras and a used KTM at 7000 isnt a bad deal. Dualsport xr 600's are available for 3000-4000 all day long here in so cal, they're another great bike.

Like my retired car dealer neighbor told me once, it's worth whatever someone will pay for it, no more, no less. And like my estate lawyer told me once, you dont want to be the last person holding onto it.

For a while, from 2001-2003, I bought and sold bikes on the internet for a living, on eBay and via other sites. I sold something in the neighborhood of 200 bikes per year, and still sell about 25 per year.

A bike sold to a California buyer that had a plate, or better had been converted, would command a $1000 premium for the plate and about another $750 if fully converted.

In other words, a abused 1998 XR400 worth about $2750-$3000 on the open market (2001 prices) would EASILY sell for $4750 in California.

In other words, a abused 1998 XR400 worth about $2750-$3000 on the open market (2001 prices) would EASILY sell for $4750 in California.

I doubt it. :applause:

I agree Chaz, check out traderonline.com and recycler.com

I just sold my 98 xr400 and it was no way worth 5500. It may have been worth $500 or a little more more than the 3K I let it go for but I didn't have time to haggle around and show the bike to prospective buyers.

For fun I just checked traderonline for only Hondas between 1998 and 2001 that were dualsported. at the low end I found a 98 XR 400 dualsported for 2990, a 99 for 3600, about 7 XR 650R's ranging from 4200 for an 01 to 5400 for another 01. Most of the xr650R's were around 4500.

I think the "plate=gold" statement is a little overrated and may be perpetuated by sellers, lol.

A plated 400 size 4 stroke and a cr500 with a plate are like apples and oranges.

The plate on the CR won't demand that much extra.

If it was so great having the plated 500 you wouldn't be considering selling it.

Can someone please explain to me the issue of getting a license plate for a bike? I've never heard of it being an issue in New York so long as the bike is street legal; is it something do to with pollution?

ok maybe plate does not quite equal gold, but if the law doesnt change and manufacturers dont step up yadayadayada

to answer your question:

about $500-1000.

Thats what a plate is worth. No matter what bike, what year, etc.

If it has a plate vs. the same bike without the plate--you can expect at least an extra $500 and maybe as much as $1000. There might be some odd case where someone just HAS TO own a 1999 Gas Gas with a plate and will pay more...but in general thats the value.

Holy sh*t!

Here in New York it's currently $14 for two years to put a plate on a bike. I pay $60 for two years to put a plate on my F150.

Why does it cost so much? And is that every year/two years or a one-time fee?

to answer your question:

about $500-1000.

Thats what a plate is worth. No matter what bike, what year, etc.

Really??

Damn I didn't know,,I guess my wife '78 DT175 would have been only worth

-$100 without the plate. Sure glad I kept it up.

Come on bud, you can't make that kind of general statement,,,It totally depends on the bike.take our freind above with the CR500,,that bike is hard enough to sell as it is,,,Having a street plate isn't going to add $500 to the price. No one is buying a cr500 to ride around the street or do dual sport. the plate means very little on that ride

Now if that plate was on a '03 KTM,, then sure your $500-$1000 theroy is valid.

it's all about which bike the plate is on

I have a bit of a dilemma. I have a street-legal '97 CR500. I have been kicking around selling it with the thought of getting 2 smaller displacement woods bikes (kdx or 200/300 exc's) for my dad and me. If I did it, I'm hoping to get around $4k. However, if I sell it, I know that getting another street-legal mx-type bike will be extremely difficult due to the increasingly prohibitive nature of getting a legal plate. Also, bikes already plated are getting more expensive. At this point I haven't really ridden on the street with it (nothing screams "PULL ME OVER" like big-bore 2-stroke :applause: ) but I always like having the option for big loops. My questions are, first, would you sell it? Second, if you did would you eventually regret doing it? Finally, those of you with street-legal bikes that weren't sold new with a license, how often do you actually ride on the road with them? Thanks for any input.

I know that in some states, there is a little more freedom when it comes to what types of vehicles can get a plate. In Florida, you can get a plate for an open-wheel sandrail as long as it has the proper lights and seat belts. In Montana, you can plate your quadrunner. I don't know what the laws are like in Washington, but here in California things are a bit more strict. A CR500 with a plate in California has a certain "COOL" factor to it mainly because it is not a common thing to see. However, like you said, "nothing screams out pull me over" like a 2-smoke. I wouldn't get to the corner supermarket before a cop would have me at the side of the road. Two bikes are better than one. If you think you can sell it and buy two bikes, all the power to you. In my opinion, it doesn't sound like you really want to get rid of it. If you did, you wouldn't be concerned about regretting it. I have a 1986 YZ250 that I have been thinking about selling for several years now. I haven't done so because it has become enough of an issue for me yet. Hell, I may never get rid of it.

To answer your last question, I have a 2001 XR650R with a plate. I have almost 9000 miles on it and probably 1/3 of that is from going to work and back. It isn't the type of bike you take on a leisurely Sunday cruise, but it good for short trips.

As said above, a plated CA bike is worth about 1K more. I have a plated 04 CRF 250X that is cherry with the full Baja kit. I think it is worth 6K. The same bike if plated in AZ, NV or anywhere else would probably be worth less.

mmotohead makes my point. A new 04 crf 450X is about 6K out the door today. Factor in a dualsport kit ($500.) and you're right there as far as pricing. The "gold" of a plated bike is an illusion. Value is another story.

The plate is not only for street use it is also for those desert areas that when the BLM/ranger shows up and asks how many bikes in your group are plated. This is exactly what happened coming back from laughlin a few years back. We were stopped at a dirt/road crossing checking out the map and a BLM/ranger guy pulls up right behind us on the dirt road in his white p/u and the first thing he says is (No, it was not are you guys enjoying the desert today) it was how many of those bike are plated. I could'nt do half of my riding without a plated bike. I feel a bike is worth more with it than without it.

Really??

Damn I didn't know,,I guess my wife '78 DT175 would have been only worth

-$100 without the plate. Sure glad I kept it up.

Come on bud, you can't make that kind of general statement,,,It totally depends on the bike.take our freind above with the CR500,,that bike is hard enough to sell as it is,,,Having a street plate isn't going to add $500 to the price. No one is buying a cr500 to ride around the street or do dual sport. the plate means very little on that ride

Now if that plate was on a '03 KTM,, then sure your $500-$1000 theroy is valid.

it's all about which bike the plate is on

Yeah ok wise guy--come on bud yerself--that excludes 1978 DT175's and it excludes Valentino Rossi's MotoGP race bike, and it excludes all Harley Davidsons (they arent worth much without a plate, right?!) I am talking about a plate in a state in the USA in 2005 --a place like California where its nearly impossible to get a plate anymore on a relatively new and somewhat desirable bike that wasnt sold as a street bike. You know--like XR400s and 650R's and YZ250's and RM's and all that-from the last few years--no not rat bikes from the mid-eighties....take those bikes in the markets we are talking about and you will pay about $500-1000 more for them if they have a valid plate.

Yeah--REALLY.

Here--go to cycletrader.com and do a search on XR400 and do this for a couple of years--like i have--and do it for other bikes--and you will see a trend. Its about $500-1000 more for the plate. Its not science-just my opinion that i am offering the guy who wants to get some idea of the values...AND NO THAT DOESNT INCLUDE YOUR WIFES RAT BIKE, BUD!!

DAMN-NOW YOU KNOW THAT. :applause:

Did you bother to read the last line, or any of my post that you just quoted?

I make the same point you so eloquently made

It's all about what bike the plate is on

BTW

it wasn't a "rat bike" IMHO, it was and still a pretty clean older classic, but it's not a very desireable bike, much like a '97 cr500

p.s.

Pull your pants up,,no one needs to see that :applause:

I think the gist of my post has gotten off-track. I was only asking as to whether a plate is really that useful in the overall scheme of riding, not a monetary value. Maybe I should've put a different title on the post (and proof it before hitting enter). It boils down to possibly going from a plated bike which I like and know, to selling it and possibly get a better bike but lose the plate. I didn't mean to make it into a debate over the value of the piece of tin on the back fender. It's more a question of riding values and habits. Just trying to get other's feelings and how they would view the situation.

BTW... My CR is MUCH more desirable than any DT. :applause: