Sign in to follow this  

KLR650 Info Wanted

KLR 650 Hi Guys, This is ma first post, Jist the day I picked up a C9, I have noticed that the red water light on when you start up, I looked in the resoviour and its between the marks, but when i took the radiator cap of it was full to the brim, on the other side in the viewing area its between the marks. what is this bottle, is it an overflow tank or what ???? how does the red light go out ???? and how do you jack the rear suspension up a bit to harden the ride.???? Thanks. guys...John....... Scotland

Ok, the red light I know nothing about...... to stiffen the rear suspension, you have to adjust the SPRING PRELOAD on the left side...... In California, we have to remove a small Evap/ emmision canister to get at this. You should see a small 10mm chrome bolt at the top of the shock, and some scale marks. I believe 5 is the firmest preload. Now at the bottom of the shock..... down by the linkage, is the damping adjuster knob. Pull the black plastic cover off and adjust.... again, I believe 5 is the firmest.

Jesse

82 Yamaha XT 550

87 Kawasaki KLR 650

05 Kawasaki KLR 650

05 Yamaha WR 450

The Bottle is where you check your coolant fluid level at (it should be at the full mark and not above). Be careful when you are taking the radiator cap off, NOT to get trapped air in the cooling system or you'll overheat real quick.

Make sure your cooling fan relay is working properly. about the rear shock if cranking up the pre-load (at the top of the shock, you'll find the Pre-load adjuster and at the bottom of the shock near the linkage you'll find the Dampening adjuster knob. Both Progressive 420 series (1st choice - moderately priced) and Bitubo (all the trick features and a trick price to boot) have replacement rear shocks for the KLR 650.