Sign in to follow this  

Why Yz400f, and not 500

If I remember correctly wasn't the AMA limit for 250 class thumpers 500 and not 450 or 400 when the original yz400 was released. And wasn't Doug's bike a 500. So why wasn't the production bike a 500??? Weight?, to much to handle?

maybe they had a better power to weight ratio with the 450???

ama pro rules

Nope, at the time the bike was originally released, the pro rules allowed up to a 500 to be run (they were changed) the bike dough was running was a 500

Not to change the subject here, But I rode a CR500 the other day & Shiite it was fast, I was just thinking that yamaha should build a YZ400 2 stroke... It would be faster than the four stroke/Lighter than the fourstroke/Cheaper to fix than the four banger & I also hear that there is some crazy NEW technology that allows 2 strokes to run cleaner 🙂 Hmmmmm.

and what class would that run in buddy

thats why they quit making the 500s, there wasn't a real class for them.. they had the "open class" but it didnt last very long i believe.. dont' get me wrong, id LOVE to see them bring back the 500 smokers and modernize them.. that service honda cr500 looked SICK.. even if it was a honda 🙂

What class is my KTM 300 EXC running in? KTM sells every single one they make. What about the KTM 525, Husky 510, XR650R, etc. There's plenty of people out there who aren't buying bikes just to race.

A 500cc 2-stroke will stomp the living $hit out of a 450cc 4-stroke.

A 500cc 2-stroke will stomp the living $hit out of a 450cc 4-stroke.

It will demolish anything it goes up against.

they did build a YZ400 pinger back in the late 70's, when they still had an open/500 class. Lots of motor with not alot of suspension or brakes.

they did build a YZ400 pinger back in the late 70's, when they still had an open/500 class. Lots of motor with not alot of suspension or brakes.

Those old Yamaha open classers run like 4-strokes.

I remember my first bike. I was 14 and got a husky 430 xc smoker for 50$ and got it to run. ******* that bike was a beast. Im glad I didnt kill myself. It would practically throw me off the bike back than

Times have changed...

thats why they quit making the 500s, there wasn't a real class for them.. they had the "open class" but it didnt last very long i believe..

Showing your age there junior

:eek:🙂

The 500 class lasted about oh........40-50 years.

It's ok, you can go remove your foot from your mouth now. :applause:

im sure that 450's will eventually make their way up to the 500cc mark. It started with a yzf400 back a few years ago, then a yzf426, then honda had to outdo them with a crf450r. so im sure somebody will produce a 500f in the near future. which will pretty much phase out the 250 2 stroke unless they beef them up a little

just my thoughts

It will demolish anything it goes up against.

In a drag race for sure.....But you have to be a helluva rider to use all the potential of a 450 thumper let alone a 500 smoker.

The Yamaha was a YZ490, early 80's. A "big" buddy of mine had one. It was just like the CR500, scary-fast bike.

I don't believe I want to try and hold on to a 500cc 2-smoke! did they build these 490's and 500's under 300lbs? Crap that's alot of bike!

I remember my first bike was a 76 IT400, ran about like a 200, i didn't know anything about bikes then, just knew I wanted one and it was for sale, rode the crap out of it when it would start, didn't want to drop it, weighed a damn ton!!!..aaaahhh memories.

Well There Was A Yz465 A Yz490 Just Not To Controlable And Kent Howerton Won Alot Of Races On Them 500cc Smoler That Is

A Yz450 Thumper Has Controlable Power And Would (in My Opinion) Beat A 500 Smoker Espcially If The Track Was Right