Sign in to follow this  

First enduro!

I did my first enduro today, a six-hour event with three man teams. And one of my teammates was TT's very own KimYZ250F, who I am thrilled to be hanging out with down here in Louisiana! AND our third teammate was her buddy Renee, so we had an all girl team in the 30-40 division, whoo-hoo! :D In fact, we were the only women there, period!

The trail started on the MX track then headed off into the woods, four miles of windy, twisty, bark-busting trails, climbing into then immediately out of five foot gullies, 180 degree turns up hills in the sand, finishing up with a quarter mile dash through some of the DEEPEST sands I've seen since the sand washes of Ocotillo Wells in CA!! :D By the end of the day we completed a respectable (IMO!) 19 laps, with lap times of 15-20 minutes (depending on the crash factor!) each. We also got some pretty impressed feedback afterwards... we may not have been the fastest on the trails, but it was commented on by the trail helpers that we consistantly rode down and up one particular obstacle that many of the 'super fast' guys were getting off their bikes for and PUSHING them through... so I say, 'three cheers for the women!' 🙂:D

And, bonus, no serious injuries except some happily sore bodies (I won't be able to move tomorrow, I'm sure!), although I did break my brake lever CLEAN OFF at the perch during a relatively minor crash on my last lap, and finishing without a front brake was NOT fun... :D But that sure did cure me of the heavy-handed front brake habit I was starting to notice in the woods! :D

All in all, an awesome day, got to push ourselves doing something new to us, help a good cause (it was a charity race) and have fun with some GREAT company!

And here we are... may I present, team Estrogen! 🙂

IMGP0601r.jpg

DJ,

Your words pretty sum up how I feel although I wasn't able to put them into words. I had an absolute blast hanging out with you today and even more fun having you as my teammate. This day will be remembered for the rest of my life and I hope we have many more fond memories or hitting the trails and tracks with all my good mx buddies.

If any of you ladies ever make it down south, DJ and I will show you how we do it in the dirt down here.

DJ...Thanks again for being my teammate and talking me and Renee into this event. It was so worth it.

Kim

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Rock on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Team Enduro.....tell us, tell us how it worked!!!!!! Did you trade off laps.....how did they work it? Was it a timed gig with checks and all?

peace,

janette

Thorina,

It was a six hour race and we pretty much divided up the loops as best as we could. Most lap times for our team were 15-20 minutes. We started off the race with one loop each to get the jitters out. Then we would come into the pits and tell the next rider about how many laps we could make on our next trip out. We averaged two laps each but Renee pulled a three lap loop off once. We had Renee go first since she rides more times per week than DJ and myself. DJ went second and then I rode cleanup. No two team members could be on the track at the same time. It was a lot of fun that's for sure.

Kim

Congrats, glad you had fun,

ok sorry here comes some un asked for advice. dont hate me for it, it is intended well: if you're going to ride enduros or other serious off road riding, you'll need to let your pretty MX bikes egos go and install some good wrap around trail quality hand guards. Your lever break on a crash is a typical MXer thing that happens on the trails all the time. All enduro riders have full protective handguards.

if you break a lever on an Moto, you can walk to your truck and you're usually out of the race, but in an enduro or off road if you break your levers you can be 10 miles from your truck. and you can still do well in an enduro after many crashes. the point is its an ENDURO, both Rider and Bike endurance is tested.

regarding those guys walking their bikes thru sections.... I have seen A enduro riders walk their bikes thru deep water crossings as a caution technique, while the C riders charge ahead and may fall in the water.

ok flame on, yell at this guy( me) to get out of here. bye.

Damn BigBob givew em some props.

You go girls.

I've seen some scary fast A riders walk their bikes through sections this C rider can ride through because they couldn't.

Just the other day I broke my clutch lever and I have full hand guards. I didn't understand that's why I put them on in the first place. Oh well that is why I carry extra levers with me all the time.

Really though bigbob those looked like three gals you might want to befriend not lecture (I know, all in fun).

Good luck in your next enduro.

ok Damone next time I come in here, I'll be sure to get my Cheerleader costume and pom poms out of my closet ( I do have one 😛 ) and it will be like that all chick episode of Family Feud I watched the other day with two teams of ex models against each other. No matter what one girl said as an answer, no matter how dumb the answer was, the other girls went into chick cheerleader mode and cheered and said "good answer" "good answer" "U go girl" jumping up and down and supporting each other whooo hoo and all that but the answer was wrong and the bell went CLANK! :applause::eek: even then the girls went boo the survey is wrong you go girl. haha what a laugher that was as one team had several wrong answers. Go girl! 🙂 and the bell kept going CLANK!

l2f why no comment about being on your minute?, I was disappointed, your commentary seems like male boasting we whooped that trail..instead of an Enduro commentary which is about being on your minute and navigation and strategy and speed and techniques and TIMING. also your picture is like your getting ready at the start gate of a Moto. Not an enduro pose at all. I want you girls to look like cool enduro riders not MX transplants, my advice is intended that way.

and damone you can blo me. now there my friend you'll know to take that comment as a friendly jab. My hope is the girls will take my comments as friendly stuff, but I usually get flamed in here as you did me just now.

I guess I better get my cheerleader outfit on next time. Go girls whoo hooo!

ok sorry here comes some un asked for advice. dont hate me for it, it is intended well: if you're going to ride enduros or other serious off road riding, you'll need to let your pretty MX bikes egos go and install some good wrap around trail quality hand guards. Your lever break on a crash is a typical MXer thing that happens on the trails all the time. All enduro riders have full protective handguards.

if you break a lever on an Moto, you can walk to your truck and you're usually out of the race, but in an enduro or off road if you break your levers you can be 10 miles from your truck. and you can still do well in an enduro after many crashes. the point is its an ENDURO, both Rider and Bike endurance is tested.

regarding those guys walking their bikes thru sections.... I have seen A enduro riders walk their bikes thru deep water crossings as a caution technique, while the C riders charge ahead and may fall in the water.

Point well taken... as this isn't something we do all the time, and I think we pretty much viewed it as a 'break' from the MX routine, we certainly weren't prepared as we could have been... heck, I spent most of my weekend wondering if hurricane Dennis was going to spoil our fun and packing for a possible last-minute evacuation, I wasn't even thinking about the bike being prepared! :eek: But next time, if there is one, I'll FOR SURE have handguards... rapping your hands on trees and breaking levers is NOT fun in the slightest! Although this was a charity event, and a first-time deal for them as well, so we had no idea how technical/tight this trail was gonna be... we've learned our lesson, for sure! 🙂

As far as walking through the obstacles, yeah, caution is good. but this wasn't something that had any hidden dangers, just a steep decline and a quick uphill... I certainly mean no disrespect to those who may have navigated it on foot, but just think its cool that even if we're not as FAST, our team did pretty good in the technical stuff! :applause:

l2f why no comment about being on your minute?, I was disappointed, your commentary seems like male boasting we whooped that trail..instead of an Enduro commentary which is about being on your minute and navigation and strategy and speed and techniques and TIMING. also your picture is like your getting ready at the start gate of a Moto. Not an enduro pose at all. I want you girls to look like cool enduro riders not MX transplants, my advice is intended that way.

and damone you can blo me. now there my friend you'll know to take that comment as a friendly jab. My hope is the girls will take my comments as friendly stuff, but I usually get flamed in here as you did me just now.

I guess I better get my cheerleader outfit on next time. Go girls whoo hooo!

😛 the picture was for FUN, bob-o! After the race, getting goofy... and we ARE MX transplants, it would be silly for us to pretend to be anything BUT newbie enduro riders... 🙂 Heck, I don't even know WHAT 'Enduro commentary' IS... or 'on your minute'... as far as navigation, it was a fun race put on by charity, they had so many ribbons and arrows around that getting lost wasn't even an issue! 😛 Sorry if I mislead you into thinking we had done some hard-core, multi-mile, across country thing...

Still, I'm darn PROUD of us, we did pretty darn well just by toughing it out in the 90+ degree heat for six hours, and FINISHING an event that was very foreign to us, and keeping a good attittude throughout.. and had FUN, which is what the point was for us, anyway! :applause: However, next time (if there is one, right now its back to the MX track for me!) I WILL be calling you for 'trail equipment' advice, you bet, because most of your advice WAS on the mark! :eek:

Now that thats settled... about that cheerleading outfit...I WANT PICS! 😛😛😛

as a younger man in my white panties, short short skirt and rah rah top with glitter pomp pomps, such picture may have turned you on in a semi intimate private sort of perverted but fun way, but now as an older man I assure you such a picture today would be so UGLY, best I stay hidden behind my PC at home for that! :eek:🙂

thanks for cutting me some slack in here, your domain. and YES glad you girls had fun but now you tell me it was for charity??.....oh no don't tell me it was one of those pink ribbons "fine the cure" deals? oh my has dirt biking gonna that soft in the bayou? :applause:

but now you tell me it was for charity??.....oh no don't tell me it was one of those pink ribbons "fine the cure" deals? oh my has dirt biking gonna that soft in the bayou? :applause:

Nope... local group that helps get kids into MX, with training and funding! http://www.g2gmotox.com/ :eek:

Congrats ladies! I've done some hare scrambles but have yet to sign up for an enduro. I don't count so good so trying to keep track of minutes and mileage etc. AND not crash is probably more than I'm capable of. hehehe

As for broken levers, try wrapping a couple layers of Teflon tape under the perch. It will let the lever spin instead of breaking yet can still be tightened enough that it won't move under use.

Don't let her make it seem like it was an easy event. Even the fastest riders weren't pulling lap times faster than the 12 minute mark. It was a lot of 1st and 2nd gear riding and it was some VERY tight trails. I've ridden trails before on a TTR125L a few years ago on some very well established mid-Louisiana trails that many enduros and hare scrambles are competed on. This race was far more challenging than those by far.

Don't let her make it seem like it was an easy event. Even the fastest riders weren't pulling lap times faster than the 12 minute mark. It was a lot of 1st and 2nd gear riding and it was some VERY tight trails. I've ridden trails before on a TTR125L a few years ago on some very well established mid-Louisiana trails that many enduros and hare scrambles are competed on. This race was far more challenging than those by far.

Really? :applause: Wow, I didn't know all THAT... having never done one, I had nothing to compare it to! Cool! :eek:

Sounds like a good time L2F. Would be interesting to try sometime but I am definately a moto girl!