Sign in to follow this  

Once again...Feeling a little down

Once again, last week was the same thing, "maybe I want to sell it, but yet I want to keep it." Well, I'm back. I just don't know what to do, it's not my parents not taking me racing this time, and it's not the lack of seat-time. I can't afford it anymore. It's seriously a mint bike, but it's me putting my money into it, to make it look/perform mint. I only have a little more left of the season and it's time to do a top-end, new this, new that...and I don't have a job. I can't keep bumming it all off my parents, because right now I owe them $700 for the last parts spree. I'm not talking about aftermarket stuff, I'm talking about regular riding costs.

I just can't keep up with it, and here's my only other option.

You know my family hangs out at the Marina on the weekends, and occasionally the weekdays. They work late so I can never get my parts until the weekend (usually before we go to the boat). I don't have the money too keep up, and my parents really don't want/can't keep forking it out to me. As bad as I want to race and be like the other kids, I have to accept the fact that it's just too difficult.

I think at this stage in my life, racing would only be a sport/hobby, I could never really make something of it. I don't have the skill/time/money/ and body, I'm too big 6'4".

So maybe if I sold the bike, I would buy a 50, or a pit-bike. I could cruise around the trails around here (tons of them) and still be out riding, that's what I love. I could buy a jet-ski (probably something used, but nice) and hang out at the marina and still have something to baby over. I told you my brother picked on up last week for cheap, and he now wants someone to ride with, and all the kids and teenagers around the marina have them to hop waves, blast around, and get wet. It doesn't seem bad to me, but I just don't know if it's what I really want.

Anyone have any opinions?

I think our opinions have been made clear - keep it. However, the regular maintenance is an issue no one really considered/addressed. But if you are not riding it often it should not need much. Then again, if you start riding more by hooking up with others, then your maintenance costs will go up. And if you cant afford them, thats a serious fact to consider.

Your proposed minibike option might be ok. Sad, but an option. You WILL be older with a job someday so getting a bike later probably likely.

Quite a decision, for sure. But you have to do what feels right. Good luck.

So maybe if I sold the bike, I would buy a 50, or a pit-bike....

Anyone have any opinions?

From a 250F to a pit bike???? Either you moto or you don't - you decide.

You have one of the most expensive to maintain rides available(250x). If you cannot afford it, the money side can get to be a big problem and can lead to burnout from stressing all the time.Most people cannot get to the top of any sport without alot of dedication,time,money and talent.We read about those that do but there are many,many,many that never make it in the sport....BUT you CAN have alot of fun riding almost anything if you want to stay in the sport. Maybe an XR of some sort would suit your needs better and when the money comes after you start a career you can get into racing without the financial stress you seem to have now.The number one thing is to have fun...not win races or inpress friends...if circumstances are such the fun is gone,you need to rethink into a situation you think the fun will return.Trail riding a zero maintenance XR is fun IMO although you may not be at the front of the pack(BUT WHO REALLY CARES 🙂 )What ever you decide keep it fun. If you do not you will burnout and lose interest.Stay away from the 50...it will grow old fast...mountain bikes are more fun. 🙂

Well, don't think you are the only broke motocrosser. Many of us spend everything weve got on our bikes and racing. When I first started riding a few years ago, my dad helped me out a little, but he stopped awhile ago. I pay for everything now. After blowing my bike up a few months ago, I didn't know how I was going to get another bike, but I sold it, found a good deal, and jumped on it. I got a job at my local track and race promoter so I get free race entries and practices. I have learned how to do valve adjustments, topends, clutches, and all general maintanence just by using the manual. Trust me, its tough for all of us. btw, I gaurentee you will get bored of a 50, my buddy did the same thing and sold his 50 right after he got it. Didnt you say you were 15? youre one big mofo, if you are only 15. Keep it, and wait till you get your driver's license. Get your permit now, get a beater truck, and get out on the track!

Haha, Heck-your the man. It just seems like I fit right in - in these forums and dirt bike places. Maybe because you guys can relate to me? And I can relate to you?

Thanks for all the comments, keep 'em comin if you got somethin to say.

Your not a pro, don't maintain it as much as you are! I mean, sure, change the oil, check valves, but don't buy the new top end every season. Just my opinion! Your bike can last alot longer then just 1 season if your not racing.

I think you already made up your mind.Your just looking for conformation that your making the right move,only you can decide.You have plenty of years left you can always get back in later.There was a 20 year period that i did not ride now that i can actually afford it i am somewhat living my dream and get to ride sometimes 2 too 3 times a week.But this sport does take allot of money.Go live your life make money you are always welcome back.

I am interested in what your parts spree was for $700 and you say there was no aftermarket stuff.

What are you buying: Oil, oil filter, air filter cleaner/oil, chain lube. $700 ?

Is your bike overmaintained ?

If there are plenty of trails around home to ride a pitbike why cant you ride your crf there ?

The $700 dollars wasn't exactly a "parts" spree, it was more like a "getting everything perfect and riding for the weekend."

I had to buy a new radiator that I crushed, yes, aftermarket, I did get radiator guards, new tires, new heavy duty tubes, spokes, oils, I needed new gear (pants jersey and gloves) And then the costs of riding.

The trails that I have around here, just get boring with the 250, I ride them all the time, and I can ride them fast enough and I can ride them all in like 10 minutes. The jumps that I built out there really don't suit a 250 at all, they aren't that big, they are like 4-5 feet high, and only 10-15 feet out.

I've wanted to go out there and build some real jumps, but it's difficult to do by myself with just a shovel.