Sign in to follow this  

Ya gotta HATE those fallen trees!!!

Hey guys,

I was helping the local club set up a ride through pine forest in the weekend and while most of it was under/around trees and on established trails a couple of them were old, overgrown trails with recently cut trees laying over the pathways.

We cleared as many as we could, but had to leave some at 45 degree angles to the trtail, or stacked up on each other... and as I was the only 2 wheeler there, I had a couple of "episodes" when I got the bike stuck between fallen trees... man! so frustrating! No elec start either!

My question then for the masses: Should I (2 wheelers) use momentum/speed to carry the bike through a series of fallen trees? Or is there more of a clutch/wheelie/ burst technique I need to practice?

This trail was downhill too, which made things harder for me, but I had a real stinker on a steep uphill too.... ******* trees!

ANy comments gladly accepted!

PS And NO I will not buy a quad.... 🙂

Just lift the front tire over the tree, and then stay on the gas and keep your momentum going to pull your rear tire over the tree.

mmm a fallen tree (well... 3 of them actually) got my foot peg and brake levers (both of them) today so I have some parts to replace...

Sorry to be off topic, thats just what it reminded me of

Yep one at a time is no problem, even a pile of them was easy, I was more worried about a long stretch (say 30 feet) of trees at different angles and heights... it's real tough going...

Thanks for the tip though.

Sounds like the place I rode yesterday... I'm a beginner at riding too... I dumped the bike over once, but it's old and bullet proof. I'll have to agree with what 99wr400 said.

I took a class taught by Jeff Fredette ealier this summer, and we spent a lot of time on log crossings.

You want to get the front wheel on top of the log. Depending on the bike, you'd wheelie it up there with the clutch, of if you've got a tractor like my DRZ, you goose the throttle. As the back wheel makes contact, you'll need to roll off the throttle to let your rear suspension soak it up. If you stay in the gas too long, your rear end will fly up, possibly launching you over the bars.

Like everything else, if it give you problems, you need to practice more.

True, Actually I'm OK with trees (singular) it's the groups of fallen trees laying next to each other that gets me... your technique is real good for one at a time. I'm after advice on crossing say 20 feet of continuous trees... no gaps, just trees. Bike swallowers as I call em... I've saw one guy cross them, but I was in a good spot to see how! Any thoughts?

True, Actually I'm OK with trees (singular) it's the groups of fallen trees laying next to each other that gets me... your technique is real good for one at a time. I'm after advice on crossing say 20 feet of continuous trees... no gaps, just trees. Bike swallowers as I call em... I've saw one guy cross them, but I was in a good spot to see how! Any thoughts?

I would approach something like that the same way I would take a really snotty, rocky creek bed...or any other situation with sketchy traction and lots of bumps.

Standing on the pegs on the balls of my feet, weight slightly rearward, body relaxed and loose, 2nd gear, kinda lugging the engine, eyes up looking ahead at where I want to go - not at what I don't want to hit. Fingers on the clutch at the ready. Sometimes you can find knots or limbs sticking out in the right place to help your front tire stick for a second.

This is assuming that I think that I'm going to be able to maintain forward momentum through most of the section.

Sometimes it's butt on the seat, pontoons deployed, combination of clutching and paddling....and hoping the pipe doesn't land on my leg when I crash.

If the logs are on an uphill or downhill I would use momentum to help me because a wheelie gone bad could be painful. The best thing to do is stay at a good speed, not too fast, not too slow, lean back and keep the front wheel light, and just keep your momentum over it so your back wheel doesn't get stuck.

I look for alternate routes...like through the brush, etc. I had that situation this weekend, a tree had fallen over the path since i had crossed it ealier that day, it was 2 1/2 foot in diameter...I went up about 50 yards and crossed a creekbed that had been previously untouched by motorized vehicles....I love creating new trails, and pulling the weeds, briars, and sticks out of my bike once Im in the clear. Some guy on a 4 wheeler thought I was nuts and wouldnt try it, he couldve made it easier than me if he would have tried.....

Fallen logs can be tricky, sometimes their isn't a way around them. For some that get to be a little bigger it takes some technique to do.

Like my friend demonstrates in this little video. Here's the link to the thread Log Crossing Technique Video

Right on fellas

I was presuming if I carried enough speed into the section (rather than trying to speed up IN the obstacle) I should be able to bounce my way toward the end... so if I have enough speed with good balance, add a bit of confidence i might make it through?

Some good comments guys thank you.

crossed a creekbed that had been previously untouched by motorized vehicles....I love creating new trails, and pulling the weeds, briars, and sticks out of my bike once Im in the clear.

I wouldn't be proud of this. In our eco-freak world, you need to be more careful. Especially around creeks and streams. Don't get me wrong, I'm no tree hugger, the Sierra Club sucks, etc... But you should just be more careful about spouting off.

Ive never been across a huge log on a dirtbike, but on my recon i went across a fairly large one and it was very hard, but my tires also had 0 tread. I wouldnt think youd even have to pull a wheelie... i think the best thing to do is just lean back and hit it, cause your tire will go ONE way and the most likely way is up.

I wouldn't be proud of this. In our eco-freak world, you need to be more careful. Especially around creeks and streams. Don't get me wrong, I'm no tree hugger, the Sierra Club sucks, etc... But you should just be more careful about spouting off.

2 1/2 ft is huge dude

Whole different world here in WV. You western guys wouldnt believe it, the riding experience, the lack of laws and enforcement, the vast open, but very tight land. You have to live here to understand, call us rednecks but if you like to ride off road, this is heaven. This past Sunday resembled a scene from Mad Max, there was anything that had a motor in the woods, Kawa mule, dozens of four wheelers, several bikes. Licenses? green stickers? sound limits? Not here. Things that you all have red taped and restricted (guns, offroading, etc) is as normal as watching TV here. Not putting you all down, your part of the country is beautiful, but the liberal tree huggers have too much power out there. They make me wanna go buy a 2 smoker for spite!! :applause:

Ditto New Zealand dude.... we can ride in a lot of places - I hope US law doesn;t get sticky for you guys...

Wot was the name of the Bill banning ANYONE from the desert in California?

Can't remember but at least those bloody HORSES couldn't use it either!!!! ha ha

Color me stupid but I must ask "Why place the trees at a 45 degree angle to the trail instead of using several guys to either carry them off the trail OR at least placing them at 90 degrees to the trail?"

Just be careful, you don't want those tree huggers over there. The sierra club and greenpeace aren't just on the west coast, they can strike anywhere.

They fall down, we don't put them there. Ever tried to carry a 2 1/2 diameter tree?