Sign in to follow this  

450x woes

hey guys i picked up a x and it's the first 4-stroke i have owned...came from a 01 cr250...anyways i had the 250 set up for offroad and the thing was flawless. chatter bumps, whoops, washouts no problems...

i got the 450 took it out and it felt like pooh...so i took it to the same guys that did my 250, got it back, and to my dismay it actually felt worse...the front dove and the back hopped,skipped, and bounced over everything.

well i was pissed so i took it back and he readjusted it...i took it out and the front felt alot better but the back end doesn't want to stay on the ground and bucks...i spent 2 hours going over a whoops section trying to fine tune it and still have no luck

so i guess the question is...will 4-stroke never be as smooth over chop and whoops or is there something i need to look into?

btw .. i am 6'4 190lbs(pushing 210 with gear) and would classify myself between novice and expert (aggresive)

any suggestions would help i'm taking it back to the shop to bitch next week

My '04 250X bounces REALLY bad, feels like it has about 30" wheel base as it hops from side to side. Let me know what you come up with. Thanks, Todd.

I was having the same problems with my 450X.So far I have backed off the rebound dampening 2 clicks front and rear, and turned the HS comp 1/6 turn counterclockwise and it really helps in the rough stuff.Try it and see what you think.

you have to play around with your adjustments or else get a better suspsension guy - if you have it set up correctly you shouldnt feel anything bad at all, it should feel as if it were perfect like your 250 was, theres no reason you cant get your bike dialed in just like any other bike for that matter - its all about setup and tuning it to your weight and riding ability