Sign in to follow this  

brand brand brand new

ok guys dont beat me up here might be kinda long. ok just moved to idaho from florida because of the military, jet skied in fl all the time. moved to idaho and went to my first motocross race last night, ohhh wowww it was awesome, i got bit by the bug, anybody who does this i admire, it looks pretty dang cool. anyway where i live everybody and there brother has a bike in the back of there truck so there are a lot of places to ride. i am a newbie and am looking at buying a good beginner bike, fill me in guys, i dont want something brand new maybe 5-10 yrs old, something to learn on. im 6'4 250 lbs kinda big. i want to know anything and everything, fill me in, im like a sponge, theres a lot of desert riding and mountains around here. 🙂

Well 4 stroke is the way to go but a bit more $$ when buying a bike. 2 strokes are cheaper but require more engine rebiulds and such (alot of guys around here have never touched the inside of there engines). Just starting out you COULD go with a YZ(motocross) or WR(woods and trail) 250F's but with your weight a 450 would be better and you would alway have the extra power. 1st: Search this site about questions that come up (ie, difference between a YZ and WR) 2nd: I would suggest buying as new of a bike as possible, 2000 or newer (they make leapes and bounds each year). 3rd: Please don't get a bike and try to do what you saw at the MX track :D🙂 , you have to crawl before you can fly 🙂.

Buy plenty of protective gear, beside boots, helmets, ect, get knee and shin guards. Anymore questions just ask.

ohh dont worry about me going crazy im 27 married with 2 kids, im not crazy anymore i just want to get out and get rid of some stress, those guys jumping gave me goose bumps it was pretty cool though. ill definitely be safe as far as protection etc etc. are there any good tips for a guy who has never ridden anything but 4 wheelers, im kinda nervous but ya gotta learn somehow. this site is pretty cool, another nerd website as my wife calls it, shes jealous

I would suggest that once you get your bike try to go into a open field or large area that you have PLENTY of room. Get use to the bike there. There will come a time when you go on the "1st ride" in a area that has hills, trees, ect. Just be careful and go at your pace, your friends will understand. I still get butterflys when I line up on the gate, but it's fun. Oh by the way at 30, married, and 2 kids as well you will soon see how crazy you will get on a bike....in time 🙂 .

I started out with a YZ250F as MY first bike (after riding others a little bit). I would recomend a thumper 250F because they can do anything and they are as tame or wild as you want them to be. If you short shift them they are really mellow and if you get the jetting set and really rev them they fly. The power delivery is smooth and you don't have to shift as much (so you can consetrate on riding instead of shifting).

As far as getting started: I would ride a sandy track if at all possible. Sand teaches you where to put yur weight and how to carry momentum. Stand up are much as you dare and keep your wieght on the outside half of the bike in turns. Start with table tops for jumps (ie a a pile of dirt that has the lip on one side and the landing on the other with no gap in between) that way you can come up short and not crash. In the air keep your wieght neutral and if your front end goes to high, grab the clutch and stomp on the rear brake.

You can pick up a solid 01-02 YZ250F for $2,500 (don't pay more then $3k) or if you can afford a little more, buy an 03+, they are lighter and alittle more refined.

i already love this site guys, keep all the tips coming im soakin it up, im already chomping at the bit wanting to buy one. any particular brands better than the others or is it just loyalty? i had a yamaha jet ski that i had to rebuild the motor at about 50 hrs, it was a 2 stroke, i dont know if there is a huge diff in motors between jet ski's and bikes. kinda like yamaha though.

Yamaha definitely makes the most reliable 250 4-stroke at the moment. Mine has probably around 200 hours on this top end, so they will last. You just have to treat it right (change oil/clean filters religiously). Have fun.

well if its ur first bike aand u want a good solid bike to get used to and konsidering ur size i would say older xr400 they are quite riliable and u could proboble find them at a pretty good deal if not that than a wr450f 2001-2003 just my 2 cents

the wr250f are definately good, but for a begginer it would almost be worth looking at the honda xr400, they are less maintenace and a bit easier to ride and easier on teh body. yamaha are definately better but for first time on a bike might be a bit volatile. even look at teh ttr250

Hello all

Im only ridin a year now. I have have to say Its the best sport I have ever took part in. Its a rush. The places you can find and how far you can take the bike and yourself. Its bloody physical, but no problem for a military man. I bought a yz 450 2003. Its an animal and requires a lot of respect. Its very reliable no problems so far but a lot of regular maintence.

Go for it. Dont ride alone cos you will fall of plenty. There is a lot to get used to if you have never been on two wheels. Take your time hopefully you have patient mates like myself who wont mind hangin back for you while you get your legs.

:applause::eek:

I forgot about the XR 400, of course it's NOT a mx bike but the thing is a workhorse w/ little to no maintenace. With these bikes (any new MX 250 or 450) you have to change the oil and air filter OFTEN!!

thanks for all the info guys. got another ?, since iim 6'4 250 lbs would it make sense to maybe lean towards a yz450 since it is bigger and that way i wouldnt grow out of a 250. i know nothing here guys, fill me in. :applause: