Sign in to follow this  

Overflow bottle blow out / 05 TE-510

last Sunday, after 40 miles and it being about noon I was on a tight up hill rocky goat trail and it was 90F out. I was pissed I was on the trail, tired and I was using too heavy throttle feathering the clutch going SLOW thru this 12 minute trail section - suddenly a wooosh and a big cloud of steam burst out from the engine area.

being a newbie I figured my engine got hot and the radiator safety cap blew to a drain line....... thinking that over flow bottle was for lesser events.

Turns out what happened was the bike was so hot that the steam in the over flow bottle melted thru and blew out two holes on the top right corner of my overflow bottle. I never saw that till tonight.

Now I went riding easy yesterday 40 miles mostly easy trail riding, never noticed any thing, then today did some tighter stuff but not goat trails and in morning temps. half way on a 20 mile loop I smelled steam. we parked the bike and then noticed the holes in the top of my bottle/ resivoir. We thought maybe the bottle has slipped and touched the pipe. I let the bike cool, added a touch of water as it was not low but a bit, and got home to see the real damage from last week.

My question is why did the bike get that hot? does the Husky have a thermostat that may be failing that is restricting flow now that would cause it to get so hot to blow out my bottle....or could the water pump impeller be failing reducing flow.

Why did it get so hot?. was it only the type of trail conditions lat week 90F and steep dogged goat trail that blew it out? If I simply replace the blown overflow plastic bottle will all be ok or is there perhaps a new deeper problem such as low coolant flow in the motor?

Bob, I was just looking at the manual for my KTM, and it is not a full blown shop manual and doesn't have much detail, but it in the diagnostics section it talks about checking the thermostat. Further review indicates it is a plastic valve up under the tank inline with the hose to/from the radiator. It shouldn't be very expensive so I would replace that when you order the bottle. Other than that, review the cooling system bleeding section and maybe check the water pump. Keep us posted........

read my manual, now there is a good idea. tomorrow first thing. That bottle is so toast. I can't believe just a normal trail over heat would wreck that bottle so bad. It has a dis-colored bubbled stretch mark the size of your finger and two large holes with another ready to go.