Sign in to follow this  

I HATE factory wiring

I greased the steering bearings on my 2005 400S today using Bel-Ray waterproof grease. The factory had left the bearings just barely lubed with a white (probably lithium) grease. Almost nothing was there when I opened it up. While I was there, I rotated the fork tubes so that they had the same orientation and I removed the clutch switch from the wiring bundle to simplify things as well as to get rid of another failure point.

Everything went fine except for dealing with the bird's nest of wiring that gets out of the factory. There was a soft plastic wrap-around held in place with velcro. One side was already loose and puking wires out. So I opened it up. There was some kind of bent-wire guide, which wasn't attached to anything solid, in the middle of the bundle.

My manual didn't give enough detail to be useful and seemed to show a different shape to the wire guide. So I tried to do a somewhat neat job of putting it back together, sans the mysterious bent wire guide, and it all stuffed in behind the headlight okay, but it didn't leave me with a warm feeling.

Is there some reason that the factory has to do such a heinous job wiring bikes? Maybe I'm overly picky working in the satellite industry, but it's just not that hard to design something so that the wires route neatly -- rather than ending in a huge ball. If anyone has any photos or insights that they'd like to share, I'm all eyes.

it comes down to making the e and kick models easier to assemble i would imagine. Yes it is a mess and i feel your pain. the part that really ticks me off is removing the subframe. The wires are all over the place and straped to everything. oh well

The E, the K, and the S all use different wiring harnesses so that shoots that theory 🙂

Not sure what the wire guide is...perhaps something they have added because I don't remember it in my "rat's nest"...You are 100% correct...it is a hell of a mess. I kind of sorted it out so it made sense to me and zip-tied some sections together. Good thing for a big headlight shroud or it wouldn't fit!

Ya the S wiring blows. I was thinking of re-doing a whole bunch of it for my SM.....

But instead I am thinking I am just going to buy a kicker harness and hack up my S one for the H4 headlight plug and to wire in the key switch. I am gonna have a kicker motor anyways and want to uncomplicate things.

You are 100% correct...it is a hell of a mess. I kind of sorted it out so it made sense to me and zip-tied some sections together. Good thing for a big headlight shroud or it wouldn't fit!
Ya the S wiring blows.

Thanks guys. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks that the wiring on the S is nasty. After seeing the wiring rat's nest, the front "number plate" makes a whole lot more sense.

I also found a bent wire guide thing on my "S", It looks as if it should have been bolted to the top yoke. I tidied it all up the best I could, and then stuffed it into the large end of a car steering rack gaiter, zip tied it in place and sealed the small end with a plastic plug. At least it protects the loom and keeps the dirt out, it is also removed easily for maintenance.

Neil. :applause:

I also found the bent wire guide loose. I was able to find a picture in my manual's, cable routing section, that showed it attached horizontaly to the top t-clamp under the spedo. However while I was at the dealer the other day I took a look at about 6 floor models, they had Sm's+ S's, and it was evenly divided between horazantly mounted and Vert. mounted under the spedo. So I guess Horiz., Vert. or not at all, it's all the same at Suz.

Any pics on a neatly reorganized wire bundle? Mine is a CLUSTER !@#$ and it is driving me insane. How much can I just cut out of there?

The "blob" is actually pretty easy to clean up, if you are willing or able to get rid of some things. I cleaned mine up significantly by getting rid of front and rear turn signals, temp sensor wires to radiator, horn, fan, wires to nuetral indicator, clutch bypass, kickstand kill switch, and stock speedometer display. The only things I'm keeping on my bike are the headlight and taillight. I'm eliminating keyed ignition and wiring in a toggle switch. If you're not running turn signals you can get rid of the whole relay, and there are a ton of wires going to that thing that aren't necessary. I'm getting close to having mine finished, and will post pictures sometime in the near future.

The "blob" is actually pretty easy to clean up, if you are willing or able to get rid of some things. I cleaned mine up significantly by getting rid of front and rear turn signals, temp sensor wires to radiator, horn, fan, wires to nuetral indicator, clutch bypass, kickstand kill switch, and stock speedometer display. The only things I'm keeping on my bike are the headlight and taillight. I'm eliminating keyed ignition and wiring in a toggle switch. If you're not running turn signals you can get rid of the whole relay, and there are a ton of wires going to that thing that aren't necessary. I'm getting close to having mine finished, and will post pictures sometime in the near future.

I just ordered the "E" Neutral switch blank off plate, and have 2 aluminum plugs for the rad switches as well. Once I get the bike back together and up and running I am gonna start removing an extra component at a time until I have the wiring bundle under control.

I want a manual fan switch ONLY, Hi/Lo Beam, Park/Brake Light, Ignition Switch,and E Start. The rest of the info I will get from the Trailtech Vapor like RPM, Temp, Speed....

That entire interlock relay, indicator light dash, and all the extra stuff thats in the DRZ harness gotta go. Its scary just looking at it.

I want to use a momentary Husqvarna TXC style start button on the right side.The engine will be shut down by the key only, no more locking kill switch like the OEM (its annoying anyway) I also need to find a High/Low beam ONLY switch for 7/8 bar so I can eliminate the left hand switch with the turn signal controls in it.

Edited by Bobbed06

Yeah I have the E blank plate as well. Finally gonna get around to installing it this Sunday. All wiring for nuetral switch has been cut off. My kickstart kit arrived last week, but I'm not gonna have time to install that this weekend (No hurry here, there is still about two feet of snow on the ground at my house). It doesn't seem like there is a huge interest on this forum for what me and you are doing to our bikes. It seems like most people are into adding more wires to their bikes for GPS, grip heaters, accessory power plugs, etc. When I get mine done I'm going to post my pictures on here for other people who want to remove "the blob" and don't have a lot of experience with wiring-not that I do, but I'm sure my wiring scheme will work. As far as grounding the green wire from the CDI-I'm gonna take it and use a butt connector and tie that green wire into the ground wire for the whole bike (black wire with white stripe). That should ground it-I believe. Gonna power CDI by cutting off red and white wire-going to electric start, and tying it into orange wire with a butt connector.

Yeah I have the E blank plate as well. Finally gonna get around to installing it this Sunday. All wiring for nuetral switch has been cut off. My kickstart kit arrived last week, but I'm not gonna have time to install that this weekend (No hurry here, there is still about two feet of snow on the ground at my house). It doesn't seem like there is a huge interest on this forum for what me and you are doing to our bikes. It seems like most people are into adding more wires to their bikes for GPS, grip heaters, accessory power plugs, etc. When I get mine done I'm going to post my pictures on here for other people who want to remove "the blob" and don't have a lot of experience with wiring-not that I do, but I'm sure my wiring scheme will work. As far as grounding the green wire from the CDI-I'm gonna take it and use a butt connector and tie that green wire into the ground wire for the whole bike (black wire with white stripe). That should ground it-I believe. Gonna power CDI by cutting off red and white wire-going to electric start, and tying it into orange wire with a butt connector.

I just wish that we could get more info from Eddie, or some of the other experienced DRZ guys to ease the anxiety of this job is all.

Noble has actually been very helpful for what I'm doing and seems to really know his stuff when it comes to any kind of wiring on this bike. From all of the searches that I've done Noble seems to be involved-to some extent-on almost all of them. Eddie has been in several of them as well, and has mentioned several times, in different posts, about stripping the S harness. However, he really hasn't given any specifics on how he has done that in the past. I know me and you are looking for specific information-as far as wiring diagrams, pictures, something in the FAQ's, there just isn't a whole lot here, or anywhere else for that matter. It has been somewhat frustrating. My friend in Winter Park, CO has totally stripped his wiring harness, like I'm doing. He used to be a small engine mechanic and has all the know-how, but he is a long drive away from me (I live in southwest CO, 4 corners area). My friend actually has no ignition key on his bike, no electric start (kickstart only), tailight only, and his bike is turned on and off by his stock kill switch.

I would love to know how he wired this, but I haven't gotten that info yet, so I'm taking my own route at this point. You sound as frustrated as me. I keep looking at the wiring diagram and feel at this point that I have the damn thing memorized. I think it's up to me and you to post information and pictures on what we've done to save other people the headache that we are suffering.

Noble has actually been very helpful for what I'm doing and seems to really know his stuff when it comes to any kind of wiring on this bike. From all of the searches that I've done Noble seems to be involved-to some extent-on almost all of them. Eddie has been in several of them as well, and has mentioned several times, in different posts, about stripping the S harness. However, he really hasn't given any specifics on how he has done that in the past. I know me and you are looking for specific information-as far as wiring diagrams, pictures, something in the FAQ's, there just isn't a whole lot here, or anywhere else for that matter. It has been somewhat frustrating. My friend in Winter Park, CO has totally stripped his wiring harness, like I'm doing. He used to be a small engine mechanic and has all the know-how, but he is a long drive away from me (I live in southwest CO, 4 corners area). My friend actually has no ignition key on his bike, no electric start (kickstart only), tailight only, and his bike is turned on and off by his stock kill switch.

I would love to know how he wired this, but I haven't gotten that info yet, so I'm taking my own route at this point. You sound as frustrated as me. I keep looking at the wiring diagram and feel at this point that I have the damn thing memorized. I think it's up to me and you to post information and pictures on what we've done to save other people the headache that we are suffering.

Well, I will do what I can to help.....