Sign in to follow this  

Flip front helmets?

Hey all, newbie here to TT. Great site! Although I've been riding off & on since 87 i'm in the process now of picking out my first DSP and a new helmet. I'm seeking some advice on the Flip front helmets. I'll be using the bike as a daily commuter and on road trips and I like the idea of not having to remove the helmet if you dont really need to. I've not seen any reviews/comparisons. Any good advice, input?

I have two, one for me, one for my daughter. First and foremost, when I bought mine, they were supposedly NOT SNELL approved, as SNELL didn't have a 'category' for them....I didn't think about it until later...but anyway.

I really like mine for street riding, as it cuts WAY down on noise from the wind...but have heard that in a serious crash, you WILL break your jaw, or cheek, or some dumb thing, I dunno.

Anyway, I like mine.

First and foremost, when I bought mine, they were supposedly NOT SNELL approved, as SNELL didn't have a 'category' for them.

To get SNELL certification, a manufacturer has to submit their helmet to be tested. As of a year ago no manufacturer had submitted any flip-face helmets to SNELL. SNELL has stated they would gladly test one, but they arn't buying it themselves. It's not that they don't have a catagory for them, I believe they would test it under 3/4 helmet rules, it's that no one has stepped up and offered them to try one out.

As for breaking a jaw, well what do you expect? It's a good 3/4 helmet with an extra plastic bar infront of your face as part of a shield. And please, no one use the Fran Crane example. She died because of human error, not because of injuries suffered while wearing a flip-face helmet. She was awake, concious, and coherent while they held her overnight for observation. Then a nurse gave her the wrong injection, a blood thiner, and it caused brain swelling. Which is what really killed her.