Sign in to follow this  

Could my Chirping engine actually be Clutch Chatter?

I had posted recently about some strang loud engine chirping I was hearing in corners at too low and RPM and at landing some jumps when presumably off the throttle (again low RPM):

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272015&parentpage=2

Know the airbox makes a tons of odds sounds in response to high throttle on low RMS. However, in reading some other posts, could my chirp actually be Clutch Chatter? What are the symptoms and characteristics of clutch chatter?

I had posted recently about some strang loud engine chirping I was hearing in corners at too low and RPM and at landing some jumps when presumably off the throttle (again low RPM):

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272015&parentpage=2

Know the airbox makes a tons of odds sounds in response to high throttle on low RMS. However, in reading some other posts, could my chirp actually be Clutch Chatter? What are the symptoms and characteristics of clutch chatter?

Wouldn't there have to be significant free play in the main bearing that the outer clutch hub turns on in order to hear any "chatter?" I mean its a possibility. Do you notice any clutch engagment problems? If not, then its possible it might just be a mechanical noise that comes with age? just my .02$

Thanks ThrakenH04 . No engagement issues. Must not be chatter. Bike only has 15 hrs on it, one of the reasons I have been trying to figure it out (and considering the flywheel as culprit). If I trusted my local service dept, might take it there. But the last bog I had on my 230 they said its normal and I have to live with it - they all do it. TT suggestion revealed a jetting change that fixed it right up. Since then, I just cant trust em...

You might want to take that flywheel weight off to see if thats it. The only thing you can do is try different things and then eliminate what isent it. Also, as for the airbox possibility. Wouldn't it make a sound when your standing still idling? I mean, air is constantly being sucked in reguardless of what speed your at so wouldn't it make a sound while standing still?

I was hearing a strange chirping, squeakie noise on certain parts of the track I normally ride at. At first I thought it might be suspension related :applause: , but, finally tracked it down to my new chest protector :eek: .

I've heard that chirping noise you're talking about and I think it's common. Might be intake related and I can't remember now exactly when I hear it. If it's like a bird chirping, then don't worry about it, my bike has always done that. If it's a squeeling noise, then maybe you have concerns.

I've heard that chirping noise you're talking about and I think it's common. Might be intake related and I can't remember now exactly when I hear it. If it's like a bird chirping, then don't worry about it, my bike has always done that. If it's a squeeling noise, then maybe you have concerns.

No, its not that well know chirping from the muffler/airbox area. Much lower (I think) and sounds like a chirp of two things rubbing together hard briefly. Hard to describe. Will pull the flywheel and see if it does anything - and to see if I have learned to ride well enough to not need it :applause: