Sign in to follow this  

In Praise of Simple Green!

I've used Simple Green for years on our street bikes, but have relied on a good assortment of brushes and elbow grease to get the off road stuff clean. My family spent most of last week riding, and upon getting home today I unloaded three pretty filthy, muddy dirbikes and three equally grimely quads. A buddy had told me that he loves Simple Green for cleaning his dirt bike, so I filled up a spray bottle. After blasting the big stuff off with the hose, I sprayed quite a bit of full strength Simple Green all over, engines, plastic, etc. I let it set five minutes and hosed it off. I was amazed, grease, grime, everything very clean. I hit some of the heavily soiled spots a second time with a spray, then wash. The wheels and hubs on my CRF sparkled, the swingarm looked like I had taken a buffer to it. Normally I spend a lot of time with a tooth brush and aerosol degreaser to get my wheels and hubs clean, especially the rear.

I may be the last person in the world to know how well this stuff works on dirt toys, but I am a happy camper.

In the scuba industry, we use Simple Green to clean tanks to standards clean enough to contain pure oxygen.

At 3000psi, pure O2 mixed with hydrocarbon residue results in a very bright flash and a very hot fire.

The stuff is fantastic... not too expensive, works great, and non-toxic... if ingested it is just a mild laxative.

I spray it out of a hand pump pressure bottle. I always dilute it

with three mx bikes to wash, just fill the reusable fire extinguisher with a diluted amount, add compressed air and let it fly

I've been using it for years. I gave up on my pressure washer, unless the bike is really muddy. Just spray it first with a hose, then Simple Green, then hose off. Takes the oil off really well too. :applause:

Simple green is nice, but if you want something that it will work even better and only requires using 1/2 the amount you would use when using simple green. Try suzuki bike wash you can buy it in a spray bottle or a 64oz refill jug. Its already mixed it is by far the best stuff i've found for cleaning a bike and a greasy chain with the least amount of effort on my part, using the least amount of cleaner, it wont ruin the finish of any part of your bike and you dont have to leave it on for 5 mins. :applause:

Has anyone ever tried "automatic dishwasher soap" for washing bikes? Not the liquid stuff for the sink, which is "easy on hands", but the powdered (or gel) which can take off your skin actually.

Try washing your car windows with it ---- even when they are 'clean', it will turn a white rag dark. It's ferocious stuff (and your windows will be truly clean).

Wondering if anyone has longterm experience on bike. I like the idea because it is cheap and readily available. I know (from eating on dishes) that it rinses off well. I just don't know how much to use. I'm sure Simple Green is fine - at least comes with instructions and a pretty bottle, but dishwasher soap is in my cupboard now (in-stock!). Any "soap engineers" on TT?

Thanks for the info. on other products, I may give them a try. Simple Green by the gallon is pretty cheap, and the results were pretty amazing. I know some of the other bike cleaners work well, like S-100, but even though you use less of it, it still works out to be more expensive than Simple Green.

I didn't know it was actually safe to ingest though, and had a laxative effect, that's actually sort of funny, but something I'll remember.

The only bad thing about simple green is that left unrinsed it will eat away at aluminum. That is why the military doesn't recommend it's use on planes. So make sure you rinse it really well.

Having said that, I use it on my bike :applause:

I picked up a huge container of a green cleaner that is non toxic and biodegradable at costco for $5. Does anyone know if it is similar to simple green?

So you can leave simple green on to soak for 5 minutes before rinsing and it won't ruin any aluminum finishes, bare or anodized?

I've always been afraid to let it dry on there (in the concentrated form) so I rinse it off pretty quickly after spraying, and I haven't been overly impressed with its ability to remove dirt/grime without the aid of tiny brushes for all of the hard to reach spots that the big brush won't reach.

I buddy of mine swears by Super Clean. I think it is purple in color. I have not tired it but he uses it on his Lance Camper and says it works better than Simple Green. :applause::eek:

Castrol Super Clean is bad stuff on bare aluminum, it will corrode it faster than you can rinse it off.

simple green does not appear to be as caustic to aluminum as many of the other cleaners out there, however it is at least a little caustic. I apply it and let it sit for 5 -15 minutes and then make sure I rinse very throughly.

Super Clean is good stuff but "Purple" from Zep available at Home Depot is even better. I don't use it on the bike because it isn't biodegradable and our surface water dumps to the river untreated.

Ya that Castrol Super Clean purple goop is great. It took off part of the clear coating on the wheels of my VF1000 Interceptor. Dirt and grease would be no problem for sure. One buddy won't use simple green because it's too harsh on paint. I use it but rinse well.

A few years back, a friend of mine used the Castrol (Super Clean) I believe on his aluminum framed HONDA and all the aluminum on the bike had major black streaks. It took a long time and a lot of extra work to get it back to normal.... some of it wouldn't even clean up. I've posted this before, but just don't remember where?? I personally use Simple Green (don't let it dry on any anodized wheels, clutch perches, etc.. either) and HONDA bright for the engine and my bike always looks like new.