Be honest guys RMZ450 or TE510?

All right you guys, I can tell there might be a bit of prejudice in this room , but be honest... I just bought an 05 RMZ450 but I was "thiiiiis close" to buying the 510... only thing that stopped me going Husky was my favourite and (very honest) dirt bike Mag : Australasian Dirt Bike, gave the 510 a whuppin over the weight, power and front forks when comapred to the other big bores for 05...

They said it needed re-jetting, - no huge drama there...

Weight was more than the competitors, and carried it too high - can't fix that!

Also the forks rode too low in the travel and needed work before you ever rode the thing competitively! - So there's more $$$ on top of a very expensive bike here in NZ... so I didn't buy it.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the RMZ, but I have this nagging doubt.... maybe I should have gone Husky? sigh..... bit late now, but I can still change!

Let me know your thoughts in comparison to other 500cc plus bikes.

Cheers fellas. ??

Kiwijohn

wow too different bikes. An MX bike RMZ 450 that is made for the track, 4 gears, kick start, and your asking comparisons with an six speed E-start TE-510 which is an off-road/enduro/open country trail bike with woods gearing.......( need to change sprockets on the TE-510 to race the desert)

they are too different animals. I haven't riden an RMZ but I have riden lots of E-start off road large bore bikes - all of them in fact, 400exc, 450 exc, WRF 450 and the CRF 450X and older 400 DRZs.........all those bikes have pluses and minues and the 510 is still different as each of them are and we havemnt even started talking about the MX bikes the YZF and CRF an the RMZ.

the differnce between a RMZ and a TE-510 must be yards. I wouldn't know how to compare em. My advice next time you see a buddy on one if you ever do in NZ, test ride it or the TE-450.

by the way on the Husky forks - all ya do is adjust the clickers just like any other bike and its good to go. I had my re-valved becasue Im a heavy guy and needed a new rear shock spring anyways, but I rode another 05 TE-510 with stock valving and it was better then mine as the guy had just adjusted his clickers till it was right for him.

John- i havent ridden a RMZ. But i did a lot of research before jumping to Husqvarna last Febuary and bought a TE510...

its true the Husky is not perfect.

stock it is jetted a bit rich. its not way off--but a little off. its jetted for racing with a straight thru pipe. either put on a straight thru pipe (its a race bike) or spend a few minutes rejetting. luckily the Husky is the easiest bike on earth to work on and so a little tinkering is very easy. unlike the RMZ or CRFX the carb on the Husky is 100% reachable and its a snap to re-jet. ever try re-jetting a CRFX bike? You have to remove the rear shock to take off the carb just to put in a new main jet!

the forks might need a re-valve in the mid stroke if you are going fast-that is if you are an A level rider racing in the Australian Safari or similar event. you can just tell your local monkey to remove the high speed shims...if you are a skinny puppy then lighter springs might also be in order....for most slower stuff you just need to run lighter oil and a bit less of it, and play with the clickers. most important of all the forks take 15 hours to break in. obviously your testers didnt know much about testing new bikes.

its heavy? Its over ten pounds lighter than a CRF450X. Its lighter than the KTM. IMHO they need to get off the crack pipe if they think its heavy in class.

with the sag set correctly NOTHING out turns a Husky in the open class. nothing is even close. i suggest your testers didnt take the hour or so needed to properly set up a bike for their abilities and weight. I surmise they rode the bike as it was delivered and becouse its a race bike--not a campground bike--yes it does need a small bit of adjusting to get it right.

RMZ vs Husky 510?

All the modern 4 strokes are fun and enjoyable.

In my mind the best open class 4 stroke for off-road is the Husky--by far. I put the KTM in second.

In my mind all the japanese bikes are just MX bikes with lights.

What is the oil capacity of the japanese bikes? Can you go all day or do you need to check the oil level every 3 hours?

What is the stator capacity of the japanese bikes? Can you run lights and a GPS?

Do they have stiff aluminum frames (great of MX) or energy absorbing steel frames (great for off road) ?

Fit and finish? Its hard to beat a Husky....

Can you work on your bike in the field? again Husky gets the nod....

How about reliability? We know the Husky is there-its got several years of refinements....the new Japanese bikes (except blue) are all first year and need time for the bugs to get worked out...

Costs? I dont know about NZ--but here in the states the Husky is the same as the Honda...the KTM a bit more. Not sure --but i dont think the RMZ is gonna be significantly less.

I am sure your new bike is gonna be lots of fun--and unless you are an A level rider you can win on a RMZ just as easily as on a 510...

Of course Bigbob is right on....its apples and oranges.

Why not compare a RMZ with a Honda XR650R?

?

yup that CRF style alum frame is useless for working on the bike and makes gettinga bigger tank tough. But I rode a 450X and its a fine bike even though I agree its a MX bike with lights.

Husky is a true enduro/off road machine as are the KTM line of EXC and MXC, but the diffrenec is in the handling and the Husky linked suspension. Huskys turn great and all the Mag articles agree on that.

Sorry guys, should have been more specific, and let's remember I wanted to buy one! And I can imagine you might get a few odd comments from the japper crowd, but I;m not one of them! Honest!

I ride trails, enduro and cross-country stuff, and the odd MX. I come from the 2 stroke 250 world, so this is all new. I'm 6ft - 210 (plus riding gear) and what I would call a slightly above average rider.

The comparison bikes I mentioned were: Husky TE510, Berg FE550e and 650e, KTM 525exc, KTM300EXC, Gas Gas 300EC

Comments were things like " at 120 KGS - 265lbs (actual weight) it had it's work cut out for it" "Best looking - most potential" "High carried weight adversely affects the tip in weight, and trail manners" " Vague steering despite adjusting comp and changing fork position in the clamps " "Very soft in the front - falls too quickly through the stroke into a harsh end" "Makes the least power of the group - likes to be revved" "Not enough torque to lug a high gear" " More suited to trail riding than enduro races unless you get the forks fixed"

So they were pretty hard on it, but after testing by 6 riders from club level to a Pro enduro guy it came 6th out of 6... but i STILL like it... I'm not afraid of a tweaks and mods, so I guess I;m asking you guys to assure me the Husky is a great bike to own...

FYI the overall results were(as Enduro rides) - KTM525, GG300, Berg 550, Berg 650, KTM300, TE510...

Now be calm and tell me a cool story about owning a Husky! ha ha

Still talking to the dealer so I may yet buy one?!

Some of the mag's comments may be true, but I don't buy:

"Vague steering despite adjusting comp and changing fork position in the clamps "

I have owned 3 KTMS in the last 7 years and I still love them, but they just can't carve like a Husky. They have lots of other good traits though.

I have never put much stock in what mag's say tho.

If you like working on bikes you will be impressed with the Husky. Try checking/shiming the valves on that RMZ, or Honda, or even Yamaha. KTM is the only other bike that is really truly easy (and its a little harder). I have to help a kid that I work with to shim his valves on a 02 YZF tonight. While I like his bike I don't look foward to working on it. Give you a hint, we will taking his cams out just to get to the shim.

I let another friend of mine who is an X motocrosser and Expert XC racer ride my Husky yesterday. I told his friends "I think that he likes my Husky better than my KTM's" The reason. While he is always makes nice comments (Typically, "that bike has lots-a-power") , he would only ride the KTMs around for a short period of time and give them right back. He was gone for quite some time yesterday. When he came back he told me that he liked it and if he changed the bars it would be comparable to his bike. (He's a frothing rabid Yamaha rider) Even I was suprised. He usually doesn't like anything except his Yamahas (YZF's).

Thanks!

Tony

The RMZ 450 'does' sound like fun on an MX track or for fast bombing thru the trees and such. The 4 speed Yamaha YZF 450's win races out here in the so Calif. Deserts. Of course for 06, Yamaha has gone to a 5 speed tranny for the YZF 450, so 4 speed must not have worked out dealer wise. Enjoy the RMZ and pick yourself up a Husky for everything but moto work. Everyone has at least two bikes don't they? :excuse me: Steny :applause:

I have this theory... When bike magazines compare the Husky to Japanese bikes, it always seems to suffer. KTM was the same way for the longest time. But let's be honest, its not bad compared to the Japanese, it's just different. It's a euro feel completely. I think alot of mags rag on the bike because of this but if they spent more than a day or two with the bike, riding it in many different types of terrain, they would start to love it.

When I sold my old YZ250 and bought my 250WXE, I heard the same reports. But, my times improved, my confidence improved, and I wasn't taking a beating physically anymore. Let the magazines say what they want, those of that know are getting a great bike and we don't look like everyone else at the track. You will find that most everyone here who owns a Husky long term loves it, and most have reviews that contradict the magazines. I am sure you will enjoy the RMZ, it's a great bike too. So if you ever get a chance to ride the Husky, don't pass it up.

--Tony

I ride trails, enduro and cross-country stuff, and the odd MX. I come from the 2 stroke 250 world, so this is all new.

Lets us know how that 4 speed kic start bike does on the trails. You're used to kick starting 250s and actually a rmz will feel differnt as it is a four stroke. Eventually you m,ay graduate to a E start 4 stroke. Most average riders who come out with a crf 450 R or a YZF to trail ride are not happy.

The comparison bikes I mentioned were: Husky TE510, Berg FE550e and 650e, KTM 525exc, KTM300EXC, Gas Gas 300EC

You can't talk about Huskys without talking about bore/stroke. the Husqvarnas are large bore/ short stroke design. the TE-450 has a bore /stroke ratio of like 1.46 while the KTM EXC bikes are long stroke bikes, down around 1.2 bore stroke ratio, this gives them good mud bog tractor power but when you get to the 525 it can be a lot on engine inertia and crankcase that tires you out. On the other hand the Huskys have a smooth buttery power band....... That is the major difference you magazine did not comment on. My TE-510 has such a pleasant wide buttery smooth power band. It is so fun to ride. the TE-450 has the same feel. that is what you look for when you ride a husky. that is the diffrence.

Comments were things like " at 120 KGS - 265lbs (actual weight) it had it's work cut out for it"

kerb weight is 262lbs. the TE-510 is very light feeling and actually light to move around. I just dont under stand that articles complaint here. that 525 and the bergs are HEAVY, the 300 two strokes are kick start two stroke s- offcourse they are lighter. This mag article is wracked with problems.

"Best looking - most potential" who cares, yes I do but do you?

"High carried weight adversely affects the tip in weight, and trail manners" "

PURE BULL. no way. The TE-510 is a awesome handling bike. :eek:

Vague steering despite adjusting comp and changing fork position in the clamps "

again Totally disagree ?

"Very soft in the front - falls too quickly through the stroke into a harsh end"

this is exactly the comment a good rider had on my bike yesterday from some trail jumps, but I have the compression nearly all the way out at -22 clicks for that plush soft floaty feel up rocky stuff. I am gonna add more compression back in for the jumps.

"Makes the least power of the group - likes to be revved" "Not enough torque to lug a high gear" " More suited to trail riding than enduro races unless you get the forks fixed" :applause:

the bike is geared perfectly for the woods and enduros. This bike the TE-510 has mega power but again it is a large/ bore short stroke design, see they are looking for that signature deep stroke hit from the EXC line or the mad power rush of those 300 2 strokes. they missed out on the TE-510 as they did not understand it.

"FYI the overall results were(as Enduro rides) - KTM525, GG300, Berg 550, Berg 650, KTM300, TE510..."

a 300 2 stroke is a completly differnent bike does not belong in this comparison, the bergs don't have the reliabilty that husky has and the KTM 525 is a deep stroke design, too much heavy hit.

winner by far - TE-510 ?

Now be calm and tell me a cool story about owning a Husky! ha ha

Still talking to the dealer so I may yet buy one?!

see my new comments mixed in with your quote above.

RIDE THE WOLF! ?

I have ridden both the RMZ450 and TE510. They are totally differnet bikes. Stock for stock the Husky is a much better everyday trail bike. More amenities and setup right for this kind of riding. A highly modified RMZ450 would make a better off road race bike due to its lighter weight, great handling and power. I found the RMZ to much like a CRF450 that handled better. If you like the RMZ I would suggest the TE450 for off road. I like the 450 motor better than the 510, makes the bike feel lighter, spools up quicker, snaps to attention, and I feel the 450 is actually faster on everything but huge uphills that require big torque.

IMHO. :applause:

this is a no bull story.i was at Argyle park sunday riding my CR125 and a young expert rider named Buck Ford [fastest guy at the track i might add] blew up his RMZ 450.pulled another one from his enclosed trailer and blew that one up shortly thereafter.he was fast while it lasted!i had a few words with his dad after and we agreed it had been an expensive outing.they decided not to give #3 a try and went home.my point is all bikes blow up but i have yet to hear anyone blow up a 510.dan.actually a 450 mx machine with 4 cogs compared to a 510 /6 speed trail bikes seams like a apple vs.orange comparisson.dan.

oh yeah read the RMZ forum some guys are finding the engine has issues. I'm not trying to start a wild fire, just read the RMZ forum as some guys have had issues, while read - TE510 forum and you'll find the engine is rock solid and only the racers have to adjust valves while the rest of us are good to go.

yup apples to oranges, i would expect a race MX bike to be expensive.

I bought my Husky for it's industrial character and strength. and ease to work on...The valves have not moved, the bike runs and runs. still to be fair the husky is a race bike too and it has parts which are engineered on the razors edge, but not the engine, the Husky engine is rock solid

If you want non stop reliability in all departments get a DRZ.

Kiwi,

There has been heaps of talk about Mag tests in the past and the it normally concludes that their comments are biase for some reason or another.

The particular ADB test you refer too, was so far from the mark on most of the bikes, it was embarrassing. I wrote a letter to the Editor (which was published next issue) about how inconsistant they have become with the tests. When this same Mag tested the TE450, they praised the suspension and the steering. The 450 & 510 are nearly blood brothers :applause: For the record, ADB rated the KTM525 the best ? , well I changed from a 525 to a TE510 and I can assure you I made the right decision.

All round the TE would be better over an MX bike. As others have said, the cockpit of the TE is better for you big guys. I'm a small guy and the only ergo issue I have is the seat height :eek:

The TE's are rideable out of the crate but will benefit from some time spent sorting out some things, E.G: Jetting, Susp oil heights, ergo's.

Initially, the weight does feel higher but after a couple of rides its gone.

Quality of finish on Huskies is something that the Japs use as a milestone ?

Well guys, i have to tell you, as soon as I took the RMZ for a ride I had a terrible feeling that I should have thought about it a bit longer... maybe it was the familiarity of the RM/RMZ thing that made me feel comfortable, I don't know, but either way the damage is done.... the RMZ is a great bike no doubt about it, but whenever i look at the Husky I get misty eyed! ?

So the long and short is... unless the Husky guy can do something to trade my NEW 450 at a good price (to be honest he should be able to sell it pretty easily), then I'm stuck with the Suzuki for a while... :eek:

I appreciate your comments i really do... despite the fact I feel like crap now ha ha

One more question guys... if I buy the Husky... do I have to change my wardrobe and start drinking 10W oil? :applause:

oh go easy on your self. That RMZ is a hot looking bike, I bet it rides awesome too. fast riders are setting up MX bikes for off road. I have a friend that just bought an 05 yz450F becasue he wants that light kick start bike with MX power even though it has only 4 gears too, he says it don't matter to him, now he is super fast and a more open country guy but he rides single track too. It's the average and older weekend warriors like me who I would not wish a kick start 4 speed MX bike on for trail riding.

Still look at the GNCC racers they out fit the CRF R and the YZF and the NEW RMZ for off road and race them, in fact I met a #1 plate owner vet racer charlie marshall, he rides a ktm 300 mxc and he said his top competition races the ligher powerful MX bikes off road against him, thats why he was thinking of getting a big bore kit for the 300 exc yikes!

so think of your RMZ as a First class GNCC off road machine and go out there and have fun. Lets us know how it works for you. then in january sell it and get a 2006 husky make us jelaous or wait 18 months and get a 2007 :applause:.

.....my point is all bikes blow up but i have yet to hear anyone blow up a 510......

As a new 510 Husky owner this is the sort of stuff I like to see here.

Dang, you guys sure paint a great picture. If I wasn't already an owner I'd have to become one... :applause:

I totally agree with the comments on breaking in the forks. Marzzochi has a rep in the bicycle world for making tight components that need so break in time but on the other end of the ownership cycle they keep on running with no play long after the others need new bushings. Sounds like they run the same philosophy with their motorcycle stuff.

I went in to check and record my valve clearances and other than the need to modify the comp release cable for easy removal found that the whole job is a piece of cake. I especially love the "slide to the side" rockers that will make doing the valves a child's chore. a more elegant solution you cannot find. And I'll bet the mini rockers are far lighter than the buckets of a typcal shim under design.

I doubt I'll ever use my Husky as a dirt bike despite early thoughts about it. Using it as a motard has convinced me that the power and torque would just get me into a whole heap o' trouble with my sad off road skills.