Sign in to follow this  

Stripped bottom plug on FCR MX 41

The round bottom plug, the one you take off to access the jets, is leaking very slowly. I could see some of the black o-ring showing so I tried to tighten it and it just kept spinning so I think its stripped. I have taken it off only 3 or 4 times. Is stripping a common problem? I actually think it might be the carb that is stripped, since the last time I took the plug off I didn't notice any stripped threads.

I was going to order a new bowl and plug tomorrow, but if this is a common issue I might want to order an extra set.

I've never experienced the drain stripping but it could have happened when you replaced it earlier. The cast metal of the bowl is very soft and can easily cross thread causing a leak.

I pulled the carb off last night to get a good look at the float bowl cover and the plug. I found the problem, turns out that the bottom of the plug was not perfectly flat which is why I could see the gasket underneath. When I tightened it more it only bent, which is why I thought it was stripped. I'm not sure if I overtightened the plug before and bent it or it was like that from the start. I do know that from now on I'm pulling out the good torque wrench and tightening every damned bolt to exactly what KTM recommends.

I ordered an anodized replacement from zipty along with a magnetic oil drain plug.

Does anyone know if the factory manual has torque specs down to the level of, say, the carb float bowl cover? If not, are they online anywhere?

The carb drain screw from Zip-Ty came in yesterday, what a well made piece! The stock one was made from two parts, the body of the plug and the flat part that held the washer. Mine was leaking where the two pieces met. The new one is one-piece anodized aluminum, and as a bonus the bottom sticks down farther so its easier to get a wrence on it.

I also ordered their magnetic oil drain plug while I was at it, that will go on at the first oil change.