Sign in to follow this  

Installing WR 400 engine

I have a '00 YZ 426 that spun the oil pump gear cracking the cases and damaging some of the gears. I purchased a '99 WR 400 engine and have it all bolted in. When plugging into the CDI box I discovered that there is an extra wire (yellow) that the WR's have that the YZ's don't. The wire comes from the pickup coil. Does this wire plug into the voltage regulator for the WR's? Can I just change out the pickup coil and use the one from my YZ?

Looking at the wiring diagram, each bike only has 1 yellow wire in the CDI unit harness (the two 6-wire and one 2-wire harness). There is a yellow wire that goes to the regulator from the CDI magneto. It should plug into a blue wire at the regulator. The other wire on the regulator is black (ground). PM me your email addy and I'll send scans of the wiring diagrams.

The 2 bikes you are working with have the same color wires in the harness, so they should plug in the same way on either bike. The wires going to the TPS (the 6 wires with an orange in the group) are in a different order on the schematic, but if you match the colors, you should be fine. The YZ obviously has no gray wire connection coming past the 2-wire connector, which the box will act like a YZ box, no matter which motor is there.