Sign in to follow this  

Want a Big Bore but have some questions

I have decided I want some more power on my 50 and was looking to buy the trialbikes 88cc kit that they sell for $155.I was wondering if I will be able to run the stock carb with this kit if I go to a 62 jet and can I keep the stock pipe on it until a while later.Do any of you have the $155 kit?If so how much difference in power do you notice?Thanks for any input.

I have done this to my son's. It is a good boost over stock for him. I still have the stock carb w/ 162 main, and stock exhaust.

The biggest improvement was the torque increase. He can change gears a lot quicker and it will pull it pretty good. Where he used to just rev it to the moon and ride in 2nd gear now he can change to 3rd and lug it around, carrying more ground speed.

PM Jester220 and he will hook you up with info. Excellent help for me. :applause::eek:

You should notice alot more power.Also you will notice alot more heat from the engine.I would suggest do the complete bore,cam,carb at one time but its up to you.

Just do one step at a time. Big bore jug & piston will give a large increase.

Next would be the carb - 18 or 20 mm, then do the pipe at the end. (I'm an advocate of quiet, so I run a stocker and am willing to loose a pony or two)

Get a Uni foam filter for the stocker and get rid of that silly stock air box.

Do plug checks when jetting. The bike will run in a lean condition, but it's gonna make heat. Warm up the bike, then go out and do a high speed run - a block or two. Shut down and pull the plug (don't ride it back, take your wrench with you)...

The insulator around the electrode should be about the same color as a pancake or a bit brown. If it's white, jet up one size and go do the plug chop again. If it's dark brown or black, then you're too rich, drop a size.

The 50's are sensitive to the air screw too. Do 1/8 turn increments to get the throttle response you're looking for. Turn the screw in until the engine starts to rev a bit, then back it out 1/8 turn or so. That's a good starting point.

Good luck!

Regarding the increase in engine heat when adding the 88 kits, do you guys recommend putting on an oil cooler in addition to the beefed up oil pump? If so, where are nice mounting spots?

Regarding the increase in engine heat when adding the 88 kits, do you guys recommend putting on an oil cooler in addition to the beefed up oil pump? If so, where are nice mounting spots?

with this kit, you do not NEED one... even with the race head, you do not NEED one,..... i would like to get one for mine though

really reccomend the 275$ kit, the 155 will be slower than stock, but have more power. youll also probly want to gear up a toof, either way.

as far as heat goes for some reason when i run AV fuel which is around 100 octane i think motor would run cooler (cast alum 88 kit)i also never let it idle for long periods of time just shut it when i wasnt moving never needed a oil cooler.change oil alot though

when u run higher octane is does help but doesnt keep it cool becuase it has a bigger explosion from the higher octane and cuases it too run the same temp or hotter.

You won't need race fuel in that kit. The compression is not high enough to offer any benefits.

unless its an oxenated fuel. race gas will make it cooler because it burns cooler, but were talkin a few degrees at most.