Sign in to follow this  

Locking tailgates make it easy for theives.

Do you have a locking tailgate? Is the key for your tailgate also your ignition key? You might want to consider changing the lock on your tailgate.

Thieves are stealing the locks off of the tailgates, having keys made and then coming back for the truck :applause: So much for the immobilizer......

If you don't lock your tailgate frequently you are unlikely to notice the lock is missing.

Just thought I would post this, my bro-in-law works for the insurance co and they just recovered a number of F350's........some of them were stolen right off a Ford dealership's lot, the F350 decals were also replaced with F250 so the trucks would be less easily identified.

:eek:

geez, that's pretty ingenious.

If thieves would spend the same thought and energy doing legit work, they would make money and not have to worry about Johnnie Law...

I'm going to have to go and see if the new truck has a locking tailgate now...

Do you have a locking tailgate? Is the key for your tailgate also your ignition key? You might want to consider changing the lock on your tailgate.

Thieves are stealing the locks off of the tailgates, having keys made and then coming back for the truck :applause: So much for the immobilizer......

If you don't lock your tailgate frequently you are unlikely to notice the lock is missing...

On the Toyota Tundra, its kinda like the fuel door (those equipped) the lock cylinder has about 10 wafers (soem refer to them as tumblers) and only half the key is used for Toyota fuel doors and tailgate locks. So on a Toyota, this would do you no good. You'd only have half the key aligning the wafer/tumblers. Key would still not work.

I didn't even know they made tail gates that locked. What would be the point of this? wouldn't you just reach over the top to get whatever out of the bed if you wanted it?

but people steal the tailgates, so if its locked its alot harder to steal. Otherwise it just pulls right off

I didn't even know they made tail gates that locked. What would be the point of this? wouldn't you just reach over the top to get whatever out of the bed if you wanted it?

Another coke alert for HTM.

Umm... how about when you have a shell or a hard cover?

Sure... they can break the glass, but it makes it harder.

Another thing to keep in mind... tailgate theft is a pretty hot item in some areas. If the tailgate is left unlocked, it takes about 10 seconds to steal it. If it's locked, it's not going anywhere.

Personally, I have a hard time believing that a theif would take the time to remove the 20 bolts that secure the inside tailgate cover that would have to be removed to pull the lock. Watch the repo-man shows on the new Fox "Reality" channel (250 on DirecTV)... a set of picks can get the door and ignition working faster than they could remove the cover and cylinder.

I'm going to file this under the same category as theives taking the VIN to the dealer and getting a key made. It's certainly possible, but not likely. There are just way faster and more efficient ways to steal a vehicle.

In a similar file, and I have not talked to anyone that this has actually happened to... a theif will slim-jim a door in a mall parking lot. If there is a garage door opener or Homelink unit in the car, they will write down the home address from the registration, and "copy" the remote programming into their own Homelink unit. This gives them access to the garage, and in many cases, an unsecured or minimum-security door leading to the interior of the home.

A typical Homelink can store 3 codes, so the idea is that an afternoon could be quite productive.

That reminds me of the 3 blonds who went off a pier in a pickup truck. The 2 in the front were able to climb out the window, but the one in the back drowned...

she couldnt get the tailgate open :applause:

On the Toyota Tundra, its kinda like the fuel door (those equipped) the lock cylinder has about 10 wafers (soem refer to them as tumblers) and only half the key is used for Toyota fuel doors and tailgate locks. So on a Toyota, this would do you no good. You'd only have half the key aligning the wafer/tumblers. Key would still not work.

Sweet. I didn't even think about the fuel door anyways.

A little off topic but not entirely. Locking gas caps. No good either. We have them on our work trucks and the bastards just cut the fuel hoses going into the tanks and siphoned out that way. We replaced the hoses with steel hoses, then built a sheet metal box around it. They haven't touched it since.

Another coke alert for HTM.

Umm... how about when you have a shell or a hard cover?

Sure... they can break the glass, but it makes it harder.

Another thing to keep in mind... tailgate theft is a pretty hot item in some areas. If the tailgate is left unlocked, it takes about 10 seconds to steal it. If it's locked, it's not going anywhere.

Personally, I have a hard time believing that a theif would take the time to remove the 20 bolts that secure the inside tailgate cover that would have to be removed to pull the lock. Watch the repo-man shows on the new Fox "Reality" channel (250 on DirecTV)... a set of picks can get the door and ignition working faster than they could remove the cover and cylinder.

I'm going to file this under the same category as theives taking the VIN to the dealer and getting a key made. It's certainly possible, but not likely. There are just way faster and more efficient ways to steal a vehicle.

In a similar file, and I have not talked to anyone that this has actually happened to... a theif will slim-jim a door in a mall parking lot. If there is a garage door opener or Homelink unit in the car, they will write down the home address from the registration, and "copy" the remote programming into their own Homelink unit. This gives them access to the garage, and in many cases, an unsecured or minimum-security door leading to the interior of the home.

A typical Homelink can store 3 codes, so the idea is that an afternoon could be quite productive.

Thieves are getting creative.........and it did happen here on more than one occasion. My bro in law now has one of those trucks as his company vehicle and the others were sold at auction.

More efficient ways yes, but....................by creating a key, they can override the alarm system and that includes the immobilizer. More than likely they have a locksmith/key cutter working for them. Stolen trucks are big business.

A simple fix would be if the manufacturer's (FORD) issued a different key for the tailgate. Problem solved. That would make too much sense though.

i thought the new ford keys have a chip in them that make it harder to steal? i know if the chip in my dads key isnt working then even if the key is turned in the ignition the truck wont start? maybe im wrong? i dk.

I've been thinking about getting a locking tailgate and locking gas cap for my tacoma. Where would be a good place to get these?

i thought the new ford keys have a chip in them that make it harder to steal? i know if the chip in my dads key isnt working then even if the key is turned in the ignition the truck wont start? maybe im wrong? i dk.

I dunno about a anti theft chip, but I've heard alot of theives are afraid to steal ford trucks because they're worried about the cruise control bursting into flames in their chopshops :eek::applause:

I dunno about a anti theft chip, but I've heard alot of theives are afraid to steal ford trucks because they're worried about the cruise control bursting into flames in their chopshops :eek::applause:

LOL, yeah, burn all their stolen goods and draw cops to the operation. I suppose a sticker on thew window saying "this vehicle can burst into flames at any time" will be enough detterent.

And to the poster about transponder chips in the key. Yes, a key will unlock the steering, even crank thge engine, but without the trasnponder chip, you will have no spark or injector duration. My Toyota Highlander has thsi feature. Another feature I have on all my widows in my house and garage read "Warning, Dog Eats Everything Owner Shoots! so far, its been perfect. 🙂

LOL, yeah, burn all their stolen goods and draw cops to the operation. I suppose a sticker on thew window saying "this vehicle can burst into flames at any time" will be enough detterent.

And to the poster about transponder chips in the key. Yes, a key will unlock the steering, even crank thge engine, but without the trasnponder chip, you will have no spark or injector duration. My Toyota Highlander has thsi feature. Another feature I have on all my widows in my house and garage read "Warning, Dog Eats Everything Owner Shoots! so far, its been perfect. 🙂

:eek:

Yeah my 89 camaro has some sort of chip in the ignition key, it was a new system for GM in 1989 and according to a the insurance industry, in 1988 the camaro was the #1 stolen vehicle in the United states. In 1989 with the new antitheft key the camaro was #84 on the list of most stolen vehicles :applause:

I've been thinking about getting a locking tailgate and locking gas cap for my tacoma. Where would be a good place to get these?

Locking gas caps arte a waste of money. Those large pair of channel locks are used to reach into it, grab, crush and the top scomes right off. I can be in your tank in about 5 seconds. The locking tailgate for your Tacoma is avaialble from the dealer, but its actually made by an aftermarket company called "Pop A Lock" and it used a smaller looking key like a gas cap. It doesnt "disengadge the latch. it just blocks it. Personally, I like the disengadgement type. Tacomas dont have the quick release tail gates, you have to get in there with a socket and 4 bolts, its kinda time consuming. The Tundra have the quick release system.

A lot of the Fords do have magnetic chips in the keys, I'm not sure if all of them do though. that's why it's so expensive to get a new key made, you have to go to the dealer.

A lot of the Fords do have magnetic chips in the keys, I'm not sure if all of them do though. that's why it's so expensive to get a new key made, you have to go to the dealer.

No chips in my keys.

:applause: