Sign in to follow this  

Running leaded gas in '04 TE 450

Hi Guys. My '04 TE 450 has been a pig to start from the very first time I rode it from new.I have put a bigger pilot jet in (40). I have tried running av-gas which is 100 octane here in New Zealand, and this has given me the best results for starting. On normal pump gas it will just spin over and 'pop' and backfire. I have installed a more powerful battery and this helped a little. The problem is, is that on the gas tank it says to run unleaded fuel only. Does anyone know the actual reasons why this warning sticker says that? What damage could I do by running leaded gas long term? :applause:

Your jetting must be way off. 40 pilot is too big. I think the 35 was stock. Adjust the acelerator pump for zero preload. Go back to stock jetting (Stock is in the manual) with the only change of richening up the main on to two sizes and possibly raising the one notch. The '04s were a little lean in the stock set up. Adjust for your altitude and tempature.

Pump gas will work just dandy.

Stock with us in the UK on the TE was 30 the TC was 32.5.

I have run a 40 since last Sept now starts good still needs choke to start from cold thou.Basically we are at sea level moderate climate 15-30 degrees centigrade

I ran a mixture (50/50) of VP race fuel 110/91 octane unleaded in mine when breaking in the engine. The bike ran badly. As the race fuel ran out and more unleaded fuel went in, my 04 TC 450 ran better. Now it runs great and starts great with just 91 octane unleaded (and 87-91 octane Pemex in Baja when riding there). Sea level to 2500'. Steny :applause:

Hi Guys. My '04 TE 450 has been a pig to start from the very first time I rode it from new.I have put a bigger pilot jet in (40). I have tried running av-gas which is 100 octane here in New Zealand, and this has given me the best results for starting. On normal pump gas it will just spin over and 'pop' and backfire. I have installed a more powerful battery and this helped a little. The problem is, is that on the gas tank it says to run unleaded fuel only. Does anyone know the actual reasons why this warning sticker says that? What damage could I do by running leaded gas long term? :applause:

Referring to your post title, its illegal to use leaded fuel in a vehicle designed to use unleaded fuel. This has something to do with lead emmisions 🙂

If your Husky had a Catalytic Converter fitted, then that would be stuffed after using leaded fuel.

When lead was banned, gasoline got more expensive because refineries could not boost the octane ratings of cheaper grades any more. Airplanes are still allowed to use leaded gasoline (known as AvGas), and octane ratings of 100 or more are commonly used in super-high-performance piston airplane engines. In the case of AvGas, 100 is the gasoline's performance rating, not the percentage of actual octane in the gas. The addition of TEL boosts the compression level of the gasoline -- it doesn't add more octane.

Lead was also in fuel as a lubricant. Mainly for the valves and Valve seats. Apart from this, there is no other advantage in using leaded fuel.

Octane is a fuel rating for the speed the fuel burns and the rate it can be compressed before self ignition. The higher the Octane number, the faster the fuel burns.

The advertised fuel rating (e.g: 98 octane) is mis-leading as it depends on two other factors such as RON & MON rating. I won't bore you with that.

Your 450 should run fine on Premium Unleaded 95 or higher. Some add Valve Guard products to the fuel to help the Ti valves.

Husky did some ignition map changes to the 05 models which was directly to address starting. Maybe you could do this to the 04's :eek:

Have you tried twisting the throttle 2-4 times before starting when cold?

K

Thanks for the feed-back guys. I should also have mentioned that my starting troubles are when the bike is hot. It starts pretty well when cold. Buying a new husky has not been a good experience for me. The bike has been back into the shop too many times. Twice I have gone to start it and it has had no compression. The shop has had the head off it twice and replaced the exhaust valves twice and guides the last time. They admit they found something the last time they had it apart but they would not elaborate as to exactly what it was. My guess is that the valve guides where too tight and causing the valves to stick open, thus causing the 'no compression' problems I was experiencing. Anyway, they are kind of blaming the fact that I have been running av-gas (Leaded fuel) in it. As I have noted in my original post, if I dont run av-gas it is a very hard bike to start when it warmed up. Wierd man! The shop has told me that they have given the guides a bit more clearance now, because the leaded gas was causing a build-up on them, and that I should be fine with the av-gas, but I am worried that if it happens again I will have no warranty claim as the sticker on the tank clearly states that the bike is to run on un-leaded fuel only. So fingers crossed it wont happen again. The thing is, is that I have had other bikes that have run on av-gas for many years and given me zero problems. My KLX has been on av-gas since new and is now 11 years old and still going strong (sold it to a mate).

Thumpin's note is right on regarding the unleaded gas and I think he is right on regarding the mapping but I don't anyone that's changed that. I don't think that the lead in the AV gas is helping with the start, but the octane may be working better with your jetting?

There a several things that you can do to the Mikuni. Halls can do this for you for about a 100$ or as york sugested you can go with a Keihnin carb. I did this (FCR-41MX) and I really like everything about the carb, but even with it I have a troubles with Hot Starts when the bike is really hot, but the FCR carb has a hotstart button and that helps alot if you get a remote button.