Sign in to follow this  

Hard Saddlebags

Does anyone have a hard saddlebag setup? If so, do you have any pics?

I think there are a few guys with them on TT.

I bought a used soft set of dirtbagz, they come with metal side brackets.

Going to try and mount a couple pelican cases to each side when I get around to it.

Happy trails makes a beefy looking set for almost $650. A bit pricey IMO.

www.happy-trail.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=276&categoryid=1&startpage=1

Here's a photo of a bike that was for sale on ebay. I stole his pic because its a set up I plan on copying.

It's a Happy Trails bracket with "Ameripack" cases. Pelican cases would also work.

I'm searching for this type of case but want one that opens from the top. I find "clamshell" type cases convenient for touring if the snap off the bike quickly.....otherwise they are a royal PITA since all you stuff spills every time you open them. Top loaders are way better in this application where the bag take a bit of fiddling to remove from the bike.

I think the Ameripask cases come in more colors than the Pelicans do.

You also should probably think about boosting your rear spring rate depending on your weight or at least bumping the ride height (sag) up to accomodate your load, otherwise the bike goes down the road like a Harley and doesn't handle for crap in the dirt.

Hope this helps,

Ray(sometimes lotsa stuff is good)Stedronsky

Davis, Ca09_12_sb.jpg

I have both hard and soft bags and I'll tell ya, Get a good pair of soft bags like the Ortleib throw overs from aerostich and be done with it.

When falling, the hard bag mounts and frames tend to get tweaked. Usually this means 5 to 10 minutes of bending and cursing to remount the bag if you have been lucky.

If not, then you need to jury rig a mount. It's getting dark, your friends are somewhere ahead. Hopefully you have a plan to secure the loose bag till camp.

Little stuff like that, the leg bruises and the constant worry that one may have "popped off" in that last rough section has caused me to use the hard bags on the BMW GS where they belong and keep my DRZ equipped with soft bags.

The only advantage to a hard bag is security IMHO.

Take a look at the Aerostich tank pannier as well. Perfect fit with the IMS 4 gallon and they carry 5 to 10 lbs of crap each.They fit so well that I forget they are there until I feel the added weight of their cargo in a tricky spot.

The only advantage to a hard bag is security IMHO.

The combo of the two allows me to carry enough gear for most camping trips.

Santa

I would like to know what type of rack system you are using, and also which of the 2 types of Ortleb bag (velcro throw overs or frame fitted) for a "03 KLX. redsonja

Check out the Givi E21 bags with the Happy Trails racks. They hold 21 liters each and open from the top. The setup is pretty bomb proof, IMHO.

I used Happy Trails racks with Givi E360 bags on my old KLR-650. They took a couple low-side crashes in the dirt with only minor scratches to the cases. The racks were completely undamaged.

Dirt Bagz are great. The capacity is just a bit small for extended touring.

I would like to know what type of rack system you are using, and also which of the 2 types of Ortleb bag (velcro throw overs or frame fitted) for a "03 KLX. redsonja
Unfortunately, the frame-fitted Ortlieb bags won't work with the Happy Trails racks for the DRZ. The only Happy Trails racks they fit are the tubular ones for the KLR 650. They were my first choice. I had to return them. :applause:

Not finding alot in the search function on this . I've been thinking of what type of hard saddle bags to get for awhile now . Been using the softbags and soft trunk for a couple years and my riding requires luggage . I bought the moose hard lockable trunk and really like it , is lockable and whatever is in it stays dry. I want the same results for saddlebags without having to mess with rain covers .. I dont like anything that opens from the side , Ammo cans to heavy and painfull , Not on a high dollar budget here ,Has to lock with a key, Must be rainproof . From all my research best I can come up with are these

http://www.a1hardbags.com/motorcycle-hard-bags/ga-motorcycle-hardbags/cat_49.html

Im wondering if anyone has tried these ga hardbags on a drz and or has pictures . Im pretty close to buying a set and fabing up some mounts just have not made the final decision.

Also curious if anyone has taken the little factory tail trunk i guess you call it and mounted it to the front fender for say bungee cords . Im assuming the two bolts sticking out the bottom of the bag are long enough to go through the fender and get a washer/ nut or atleast nut. If so did it affect handling any.

M-S Panniers makes two sizes of aluminum panniers for the DRZ. I bought a set from him last fall for my F800GS and they seem real nice.

Guess someone has to bite the bullet and be the first . Ordered a set of these,

http://www.a1hardbags.com/motorcycle-hard-bags/ga-motorcycle-hardbags/blue-police-motorcycle-saddlebags-ga/prod_257.html

Somewhere I have a bunch of small short eye bolts that might make good bungee tie down points.

Depending on when they get here will be next weekend or the weekend after before the attempt to install them .

Be carefull w/ hard bags as they stress the AL rear sub frame. Take a look at the frame if you have racks on it. Grab the racks and twist, look at what the sub frame does.......what's that going to do over time....SNAP!!! At least reinforce the rear racks to the main frame.

This is what I did and this is for soft Wolfman saddle bags.

IMG_0984-1.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

Thanks for the heads up , will tie into main frame also. You did a good job building that one , looks great . I doubt mine will look anywhere near that well when finished . Was planning on using 1/4" angle iron and flat stock . The tubing looks really good but i dont have a pipe bender . Going to try to keep the hard boxes in the same spot as the soft ones are now to be passenger friendly . Trying to keep this project under $200 total .

Is running a welder on a drz going to hurt it with battery unhooked ? Would like to just hold the pieces where they need to be and put a tac but dont want to fry anything.

I looked at the givi boxes several times but that link above is the only add i seen that said it had a keyed lock .

Could maybe save some time and agravation buying the su rack $99 and beef it up a little. Sure seems like alot of money for the little bit of tube it uses.

I can't take credit for the main hoops, those are Wolfman mounts. I did the brace from the foot pegs to the main frame, and the rear cross brace.

The rear cross brace ties the two racks together stiffening up the complete rack, PLUS adds something to grab onto to pull the bike around. Make sure you can remove the bodywork w/ the racks mounted. That takes some planning.

Be mindful that where you tie into the main frame will be next to your ankles so watch out for protrusion which might cut or bruise you!!!

Just pull the leads off the battery to keep from frying anything. Don't forget to cover anything on the bike which you don't want splatters welding slag. Heavy Al foil will work.

When I got my first Z, it came with some aluminum boxes for the sides. I thought I could get away with riding in the woods with them. I run 80/20 tires for mostly street work. I'm just saying so you know I'm not dirt orientated. I bought soft bags after the hard ones were destroyed by many tip overs, failed hill climbs and hidden rocks etc... Oh yeah... and many bruises on the back of my legs from those hard cases. 👍

I dont really do any hardcore riding . The D606 treats me well offroad. Thinking about checking the price on renting a pipe bender for a day . Girl friend just informed me a hundred on the hardbags was birthday money , woohoo .So that gives $165 left for racks and hardware. Not to jinx it but luckily only fell over once offroad not long after getting the drz , branch ripped the seat cover.

Hard cases on my Vstrom broke my right leg above the ankle. If you are short like me and have lowering links beware.

Here's a brain fart . I like the way the nelson rigg soft bags hug the frame so what if i got all crazy with it and didnt even use stiff mounts , instead use a setup just like the nelson rigg that straps over the bike and to the frame with a no scratch gripper back . Could use the same buckles and tie down spots making it easy removal..Hmm should not be a weight differance from what im using now.