Sign in to follow this  

Oil out of the bottom of the airbox

I was riding on saturday and took a nasty tumble in a sand berm and notice that there was oil dripping out of the bottom rubber nipple thing on the airbox. Is this normal? is this because the angle that the bike was layed down after my spill? the bike runs and starts fine.

yes..if it was inverted sligtly..if not you might have over filled it on oil.That will

also cause it to come out there.

Out of the airbox drain port???? Sounds like possible air filter oil. Make sure to squeeze (NOT twist) as much oil out of the filter before installing it.

The bike was inverted for about 5 min. and I am sure that the oil level were correct and the air filter was not overly oiled. I think it was because it was invereted.

You should be able to tell by what kind of oil it is. Air filter oil is sticky and motor oil is slick.

I had this problem too and tracked it back to an over oiled air filter. In fact it leaked in the garage out that nipple and migrated down the chain to leave a puddle of oil on the floor :applause:

This has also happen to me, I hit a fence, fliped the bike and it was upside down for about 5 minutes (dangled in the fence, took 3 people to get out) and i noticed oil leaking out of the air box all out onto the swing arm, I just changed the oil when I got back, no harm done (exept some major scratches and chunks out of the fender).

it is probably just air filter oil, or a mix of water and oil