Sign in to follow this  

shifting and braking while standing up?

Hey, I race an 04 yzf250 and was having some difficulty when I came from a pretty fast straight then trying to downshift before the corner while standing up. I also find it much harder to brake while in the standing position. Any tips or tecniques would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

All I can tell you is that when I shift standing up I take my foot off the peg to do it. Maybe your shifter and brake are too low so you have to rock your foot further down. :applause:

Maybe try leaning forward a little to reach the brake lever or the brake lever may be adjusted to low. Try to raise the brake lever to your needs. I down shift while I am in the transfer stage right before I throw my weight down on the seat to plant myself in the corner. On a 450 shifting is not as extreme as on my Husky CR125 but I know it can be a chore. Perfect practice makes perfect so practice as much as you can. Good luck and I hope this helps Thanks Mark

I had the same problem until my coach had me move my shift lever up one spline notch and also raise my back brake lever some. Now they're in the right spots to be able to downshift and brake while leaning back under braking, and upshift when standing and leaning forward under accel. GaryS also says similar things about raising the foot controls to make them more accessible when standing.

My coach also says that you should make it a habit of shifting into neutral when you come to a stop to rest. At first, there was no hope of my being able to do that, but with lots of practice, now it's a lot easier (and a handy skill). :applause:

I had the same problem until my coach had me move my shift lever up one spline notch and also raise my back brake lever some. Now they're in the right spots to be able to downshift and brake while leaning back under braking, and upshift when standing and leaning forward under accel. GaryS also says similar things about raising the foot controls to make them more accessible when standing.

My coach also says that you should make it a habit of shifting into neutral when you come to a stop to rest. At first, there was no hope of my being able to do that, but with lots of practice, now it's a lot easier (and a handy skill). :applause:

Good post, I will try that. But I don't understand the second bit. What is so hard about shifting into neutral when you stop. I always do that without even thinking.

Good post, I will try that. But I don't understand the second bit. What is so hard about shifting into neutral when you stop. I always do that without even thinking.

In tennis shoes it's easy. But in big clunky dirtbike boots like my Tech 6 boots, I can't hardly feel a thing. Without the practice, I couldn't even feel when my boot was in contact with the shift lever, let alone the subtle half-click to neutral. But now I know about the right angle of my foot where it contacts the lever, and about how hard to click up to hit neutral.

If you put your shifter up a bite. Won't it be harder to up shift while sitting down afterward?

I haven't found it to be a problem. Just try it out for a couple of days of riding and see what you think. I was amazed when I could finally work the controls standing! :applause: