Sign in to follow this  

chest protector

I smacked into a tree on Saturday while riding and decided I should definitely invest in a chest protector. What should I look for in terms of quality, style, fit? I have broad shoulders and chest, but only wear a B-cup. Will I need to find a woman's protector, or will a man's do?

depends

some protectors might be too big

even tho you can adjust most of them (a bit)

all you can do is try on each and every one you can get a hold of

make sure it is not too long in the front

not too wide in the shoulders

the chest plate is not too wide

the whole thing is not too big around for your waist

and make sure it does not ride up and keeps you from turning your neck

fingers too fast

use search, there are tons of reviews on chest protectors already posted in this forum

One company actually makes a chest protector specifically for women...i think it's called "lady fusion" by acerbis..but i hear that it is very tall in the shoulder area so it kinda hits your helmet while you ride. I don't think it's gotten the best reviews but i think it depends on your body type. If you broad in the shoulder area it shouldn't be a problem. i have a smaller frame and i wear a no fear youth size protector and it's perfect..i see a lot of girls have the Fox Airframe...and they all seem to be really happy with it.

I have the lady fusion and I really like the fit. No, I am not overly gifted in the ta ta dept. I just tried a bunch of men's ones and they were way to big, yet while the youth ones fit in the shoulder area they were too short. (how's that for a run on sentance)?

My lady fusion fits great~!

chest protectors are only for flying rocks and dirt from other riders. it is not for protection against smacking into trees. i know this is only for the girl riders but i had to take a peak at the girls forum to see wha they talk about. :applause:

chest protectors are only for flying rocks and dirt from other riders. it is not for protection against smacking into trees.

really?

tell mine :applause:

it lost it's shoulder pieces occasionally in tree incidents

and I'll rather have scratches in the plastic than in my shoulders

I have a 661 Assault Suit which works well for me. Has really good shoulder pads, a psuedo kidney belt and spine protection. No hard plastic in the front but I generally hit things with my arms or shoulders.

Simliar is the Dainese suits that kind of look like they're intended for females (or small man boobs). Kind of spendy though. Both you're probably more likely to find a good selection in a bike shop that caters to mountain biking and downhilling.

They're not designed specifically to mitigate impact, but they certainly help. The only product designed for that is a snowmobiling tek-vest or those vests bullriders wear in the rodeo. Too hot, not gonna work for MX.

As for the Lady Fusion, I have had one for 5 years and it does its job. I removed the arm pieces and riveted the shoulder together where it comes apart for ease of removal, because it was rubbing my shoulder raw. Otherwise, it's been great; the boob area isn't the reason I got it, since i'm not well endowed or anything, but the narrowness through the shoulders is kinda nice. If you wear a fanny pak while trail riding the base of the spine thingy will run into it, but I switched to a larger camelbak and there's no problem. I think my only real complaint now is that I've gotten swiped by branches on the side of my boobs, since it's cut in a little bit there. not so nice. But I've never ridden in a guy one so I don't know if they are any better or worse.

I have an Ocelot brand (oneal spinoff) mans chest protector. I have a larger frame, and c-d ta-tas. My boobs stick out the sides a bit, and there is a gap between the protector and my collar bone beacuse of them. I cant really compare it to anything else, but it is a bit long i think, but i like it that way. I'm constantly adjusting the shoulders for no apperent reason other then i cant decide on what i want. What is a good fitting chest protector supposed to fit like anyway? Anyone have any pics?

What is a good fitting chest protector supposed to fit like anyway?

if you do not even notice you wear one

it fits perfect

I need to get one too. I am super short 5'3 and have a large chest area. I have seen those Chest protectors that go under your shirts....maybe that will do the trick. The only problem with that is I want the shoulder protectors too....Any Ideas??

if you do not even notice you wear one

it fits perfect

That may be some of the best advice. I hated my lady fusion, I took it off at a track and oops forgot it and was not upset. I now have a youth Thor chest protector, I love that one. Make sure it is not too long that will cause more problems than good. Go to a good shop with people that know what they are doing and just ask someone to help you find one that fits.

I would say a man's chest protector, I had a woman's and I am 5'2 and 100pds and I had a problem with it being so long that it would rub against my lower back on my spine and cause swelling and bruising. Now that I use a man's I do not have any problems. And I have no problems with the chest area. :applause:

those Chest protectors that go under your shirts....I want the shoulder protectors too....Any Ideas??

mount some

That's too tricky for me! :eek:

OK,

if you are not blessed with such mechanical skills :applause:

make your SO zip tie a pair of shoulder pieces to your chest protector

You probably don't want those little pieces that come down from your shoulders over your upper arms. My MX instructor mentioned I should take them off because he has seen them cause injuries. One of his kids broke his arm where the joint (of the protector) was because it pushed into his arm hard enough to break the arm. I was kind of thinking yeah, OK freak thing but I am not taking mine off. Thinking I want all the protection I can get. The next week I came out of a corner too hard and flipped the bike. Landed just right on that arm to have the same thing happen. Luckily I only had an impressive bruise not a break.

Just my opinion.