Sign in to follow this  

Stalled 3 times while idling as stop lights. Possible causes?

Hi All,

I'd like your opinion:

I had mentioned in an earlier thread that I stalled the bike once turning a corner shortly after I put on the new rear sprocket (47t).

Since then my bike has stalled twice while waiting at stop lights. It just konks out. The two times happend about one week apart, and 150 km apart meaning that this is very sporatic. It starts right back up without any problems or hesitations and is fine after that.

I'm sure that there is no relationship between the sprocket and this issue since the last two stalles I wasn't even moving.

What could it be? Could it be that my spark plug needs replacing? Fuel screw (should I tighen or loosen a bit)? Bad gas? Carb getting dirty (should I try carb cleaner?). What would you start with?

Some Facts:

=========

- It's been approx. 2000km since my last spark plug change (I have the EK spark plug).

- I have not played with the 2.5 - 2.75 turns out when I did the original Burned DJ (I've done over 5000km probelm-free with this setup).

- The bike is a 2003 S with stock exhaust.

- I do my oil changes (motul 5100 Ester) every 2000 km.

- All city driving (unfortunately, since my CBR900RR buddy does not have the cash to get a semi-trail so we can do some exploring, and it is dangerous togo by myself in the event of a mishap!!!).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

TZ.

I would say the idle adjust knob as well, then maybe drain the gas if that doesnt do it. These are the easiest fixes. Spark should be alright, but that would be my next guess.

Try adjusting the clutch cable freeplay.

I was having similar problems and once I adjusted the cable slightly tighter I haven't had any problems with the bike stalling while at stop signs or stop lights.

Al E

I don't want to raise any un-necessary alarms but this is one of the symptoms my bike had right before I dropped a valve. It's rare as I understand but just keep an ear out...if it starts to sound funny shut it down RIGHT AWAY!! You may be able to save it, I wasn't quick enough. Just throwing it out there, like I say it's probably not going to happen but if you have the info that I didn't have....maybe you won't have to rebuild should it happen to you. Good Luck!

Mine did that when the pilot circuit was too lean. Would be idling high and

fine, then out of nowhere...stall.

It's not a mellow shutdown either. It's comparable to killing the motor by

letting the clutch out vs. using the key.

That's just MY personal experience.

The bike has not been sitting. I use it to commute every day. If I plan not to use it for more than a week, it goes on the Battery Tender Plus, and I drain the carb.

I uped the idle last night as "John In NC" recommended. I listened to the engine idle this morning before I left for work, it sounds very healthy, just a tiny off-beat every so often. Sounds fine.

I'll adjust the clutch as "AL E" recommended because it is does engage quickly (starts engaging at approx. 1 cm from the grip).

I am a bit nervous that I have not done the valve clearance yet (7000 km), I will do it this coming winter where I will have plenty of time to do it carefully).

I'll keep you posted if it snuffs out again and thank you all for your advise!

TZ.