Sign in to follow this  

Help! Adjust preload on rear shock

I tried to adjust the preload on my rear shock('05 125LE) this weekend and I was unable to loosen the locknut. Any suggestions? Is there a special tool :applause: Thanks!

Punch and hammer.

That's what I tried and I still couldn't get it to budge. I wasn't really swinging though 'cause it just didn't seem right to be using a hammer. Guess I'll try to hit it a little harder next time. Just seems like there should be a way that's a little more technologically advanced.

Anyone else do it differently?

I had somebody hold the shock down and still, then I used the widest flathead screwdriver that I had and a hammer to punch it loose. Before I started, I sprayed WD40 on the threads and got it moving. Then after it got loose a litle ways, I sprayed above the locknut again. :applause:

I can't remember what my dad and i used. i think it was big channel locks.

A punch and a decent sized ball peen hammer (20-30oz) is about the best tool for the job

I used a brass colored thing that looked almost like a capitol "L" except with a lip on the bottom part. it hooked on and we hit it with a hammer and finnally got it loose. I found the tool in the emergency tool kit on my snomobile.

-neil

P.S. as for the name of the tool, I don't have a clue :applause: i think it might've been what Trikekid said.

they make tools for it you can buy. i believe they are called lock ring pliers?? But im not completly sure of the name, that doesn't sound too right. go to a motorcycle shop and see if they have them. that is what you are "technically" supossed to use but i never do. I just do the hammer and screwdriver method but they come really tight from the factory so you might need the actual tool

We bought a spanner wrench but just not enough room to use it. Large screwdriver and a hammer does the job.

I have a little hook thing that fits on a 3/8's inch ratchet works real well way quicker than the hameer and punch method and does not damage anything. Dont know what it is called someone gave it to me works great with the shock on the bike!!!

OK. THe correct way would be to buy the correct Yamaha specialty tool. The next way would be to buy an adjustable spanner wrench. Then the acceptable BFH and punch way, and finally the way I do it. Yank the shock and linkage and use two big pair of adjustable(Channel Locks) pliers.. Reason I say this is because that TTR your working on requires regular maintenance especially greasing the swingarm bearings/linkage area, and while your at it you can bust the lock ring loose.

i havent greased the bushings/ bearings in the swingarm for awhile. its starting to get really annoying squeaking to. it relaly helped that i went mudding today. have you seen my bike after i went mudding?