Sign in to follow this  

CR125 Big Bore Kit???

I've been thinking about trying to find one to add a bit of displacement to help the little smoker haul my 200 lbs. around a little better at altitude.

I've seen the Ferracci 135cc kit and the Erik Gore 144cc kit. I'd love to get a little more displacement than 144cc's.

Anybody know of anything else available out there?

I love the CR125's light weight but could use some more HP. The WR250's don't seem to be that much lighter than the 4Ts or I would go that route. Maybe 10-12 lbs max. lighter than the 4T's. The CR125 is like 35-40 lbs lighter than my '04 TE510.

George Earl has a 167 kit that I was thinking about getting for mine. I weigh 225 lbs and just ride MX. Thanks Mark

George Earl has a 167 kit that I was thinking about getting for mine. I weigh 225 lbs and just ride MX. Thanks Mark

Has anyone had some time on one of these?

167cc beats 144ccs. Anything else out there? I talked to George about it briefly and he says it adds a bunch of low to mid range. He uses a Maul,sp?, piston. All he wants is your stripped cylinder and the power valves. He used to charge like $500, but now he says his Nikosil plater's cost is going up so it will be maybe like $575.

Somebody needs to bite the bullet, do this and report back to us.

Anybody heard of anything else? Maybe 167cc's is all you can bore it out before getting in to the water jackets?

I guess he means a German Mahle piston these are very high quality.I guess if you are looking at a 62mm diameter to get near 167cc.

Serious boring out it would be interesting to see this done.Did George mention big end life? The rod would get a lot harder time from such an increase.

Some tuners go for stroked cranks for 167 cc but the Husky engine is so compact there is no room.I rebuilt a Husky 03 WR motor some months ago with a blown big end.Thers is so little clearance that the big end eye (slack) was scraping the inside of the crank cases.

Did George mention big end life?

The topic didn't come up in my conversation with him yesterday. What is there to wear more, piston and rings? they aren't that much $ anyway. Am I missing someting that would wear out quicker besides the piston and rings? I would think the lower end would hold up to the extra HP. ???

I think the main reason the WR250 is over 20 lbs heavier than the 125s is the bigger lower end required for the extra HP.

Honda has what you need: CRF250R

exactly what you need, if you want a money pit.

Honda has what you need: CRF250R

No way hoser, Nothing like valves that hold up for 20 hours and a bike that you have to diassemble to do basic maintenance. I'll stick to my '04 Huskys.

167cc beats 144ccs. Anything else out there? I talked to George about it briefly and he says it adds a bunch of low to mid range. He uses a Maul,sp?, piston. All he wants is your stripped cylinder and the power valves. He used to charge like $500, but now he says his Nikosil plater's cost is going up so it will be maybe like $575.

Somebody needs to bite the bullet, do this and report back to us.

Anybody heard of anything else? Maybe 167cc's is all you can bore it out before getting in to the water jackets?

Wow, that is a good deal. A stroked / bored 125 is $2K+. He must use a lightened piston, otherwise the engine would shake, wouldn't it? That is much cheaper than buying an '06 wr250 (for me).

Maybe 167cc's is all you can bore it out before getting in to the water jackets?

That was what I thought. Going out to 62mm is a 4mm increase each side. Wouldn't that leave about 2mm side wall to the water jacket. What about port heights when you you take that much off the front of them?

We had a 02 wr125 with a kit from Uptite, had lots of power ,it has 1800 miles on it the other day for no reason the mag end of the crank snaped off .Maybe too much weight on WR flywheel?Might not be bad on a CR125?It is nice kit,vibrates more.Would like to try one on a CR.

We had a 02 wr125 with a kit from Uptite, had lots of power ,it has 1800 miles on it the other day for no reason the mag end of the crank snaped off .Maybe too much weight on WR flywheel?Might not be bad on a CR125?It is nice kit,vibrates more.Would like to try one on a CR.

billf, thanks for the input. Definately something to think about. There has to be a reason the CR/WR250's weigh approx. 25 lbs more than the 125's. Most of it must be in the lower end.

Still it would be nice to have 167cc's or whatever, if it would handle it. More, H/S, enduro, X/c type stuff. Sill you have to ride a 125 pinned the whole time. I love the way a good rider can make a 125 sing. Music to my ears.

Anybody got a 167cc kit on theirs???

Flame on

In noting your ownership of an 04 CR125, an obvious red sticker machine, I was wondering if there are any off road areas located in Southern California that are open year round for red sticker bikes?

In noting your ownership of an 04 CR125, an obvious red sticker machine, I was wondering if there are any off road areas located in Southern California that are open year round for red sticker bikes?

If your question was directed to me, I know nothing about riding in Kalifornia.

Bill, Central and Northern CA have some places that are open year round. Most of the motocross tracks are open year round. Thanks Mark

This might help,

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=21928

Bill, I don't think that kit was Uptite, I can't remember off the top of my head but will ask. I rode that bike and it did have more power but needed the jetting sorted when I rode it.

Kelly

No, sorry, it was directed to MXMark who noted of his California origins

Just curious...What its hes company ? is there an URL ?

TIA,

AJSB

ps:Husqvarna should have a WR200..