Sign in to follow this  

How strong is the DRZ's sidestand?

I put the kickstarter kit on the 400S. Now I'm trying to use it. Between the bike's height and my regular size (6 ft, 180 lbs), I've only been able to do it while the DRZ's kickstand is down. Just how strong is the DRZ's stand? What does the factory say in the kicker's owners manual about starting it on the kickstand?

I've learned the trick about putting it in gear and pulling backwards to get to the compression stroke. (Only have the automatic compression release.) Any more tricks to this?

Shouldnt be a problem. I used to start all the used thumpers on the sidestand when I worked for a dealership. Just shift your weight over the center when your kickin"......

Only bike I had a problem with was/is my 93DR650 I used to stand on the peg and kick that foot long kickstart. Until I started bending the kickstand out. That thing is one mother B to start. I got used to standing on the ground after that and do a jump up in the air and come down on it.

I don't think the DRZ will cause that problem since it doesn't take as much to start it.

Got into a tight spot over the weekend. Tilted the entire bike up on its sidestand, both wheels off the ground, and pivoted the bike 180 degrees to get turned around. I would never attempt that on my KTM!

The side stand seems plenty strong to me. I sit on the bike on the side stand all the time for breaks. Holds up 225 lbs :applause:

I've got a 100 pounds on you and start my SM while on the stand lots of times. I sometimes move it out first then don't other times I just leave it on the stand with the gas and choke on and kick that big honker. It almost always lights in 2 kicks regardless to where it is on the cams. good starter if you ask me. prairiedawg :applause:

Hey Ross,

Does that mean your as short as me then ???:eek:🙂

Neil.

😛😛

Well, I don't know 😛 I'm 5'10" and need to be at about 180 for "fightin' weight" so I'm packin' a little extra "lunch". 😛 I notice the old metabolism just ain't what it once was...I could eat everything in sight and not gain a pound (stone?) but after 50 I eat way less and have to work very hard to make weight go away. :applause::mad::snore::snore: How was your fishin' trip? 😛😛

It's not hard to kick it with the stand up. What's hard is keeping it from falling over on the follow through! :applause:

Last year I could have caught it easily, but after some medical work, I've dropped 60 pounds (all of it muscle) and the bike got very top heavy.

I wouldn't worry much about the sidestands strength. I have a motorcross stand I bought (at the recommendation of the Suzuki shop) that was too tall for my 400SM. I hacked as much of the legs off, but it's still a little too tall. The bike is way to heavy for me to pick up (5' 6" and 138lbs) so I have to lean the bike on the sidestand completely with the rear wheel off the ground. I then slide the stand under the frame while holding the bike. After that I wiggle the bike onto the stand. I've never had a problem and the sidestand looks good as new.

****and yes, I need to get a different stand!!!****

Well, I don't know 😛 I'm 5'10" and need to be at about 180 for "fightin' weight" so I'm packin' a little extra "lunch". 😛 I notice the old metabolism just ain't what it once was...I could eat everything in sight and not gain a pound (stone?) but after 50 I eat way less and have to work very hard to make weight go away. :applause:😛😛:mad: How was your fishin' trip? :eek:😛

Ross,

I weigh about 210 and am 5'8", thats right, I eat (and drink too much)

I never have been fighting fit, well not for about 25 years. Fishing trip was fine.

Neil.

🙂😛