Sign in to follow this  

swaping motors which one? crf50 or gpx pitster engine

im swapping my motor outa my sdg..the 107 is pretty good but so many people are having reliablity problems and i want an engine that will last 20 years..and i found a deal i cant pass up im either going to go with a gpx pitster pro 124cc engine for 650$ or this guy on ebay will sell me a complete crf50 with a 88cc big bore 4 speed tranny for 400-500 bucks...and i know the crf50 engines will last like forever

which one? crf50 most reliable, or pitster pro which i dunno how good they are

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF A CRF50 MOTOR FITS IN AN SDG

i need help asap Thanks

I looked at all the ready-to-go Chinese clone based hot rods and I decided to go with a modified stocker. The Chinese can make something that looks like a fiddy motor but how good is their metallurgy, heat treating, quality control, etc? More money for the Honda but at least the basics are available and reliable at your friendly neighborhood dealer.

well its acually a 2002 xr50 with 88cc kit, and a 4 speed manual tranny..i think 500 is a good deal if i say so myself....he lives close so i wont have to pay shipping...and i know this motor should last a long time

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/kx250frider651/ab_1_b.jpg

think its a good deal and something wise to put in my sdg???

'Zat really an XR-50 motor? The sidecover doesn't look like an OEM--looks Chinese. :applause:

that side cover looks after market but not chinese.

its kinda of plain might have been needed for the four speed conversion or maybe clutch

yeah thats not a chinese cover!! the motor doesn't really look like it either but it is far away!! you should ask him to send u better pix!! it might be the case that he bought with the 4speed trany!! ???? just ask the guy!!

that pitster motor looks good though.for the price.when my sdg runs its fine but it hardley runs.been to the shop 3 times now.Have you seen the new sdgs?there is 3 now and one has a 50 motor and the other is 125 with 14 and 12 inch rims.the third is the standard 3 valve

That isnt a honda motor.First of all the cylinder is steel and its painted black.Second of all the side cover IS chinese.

he said its allready been bored to 88 so it wouldnt look stock and that cover doesnt look like any chinese one i have ever seen

if he is acting shady then screw um. id go with the pit. i have seen a motor called the pit king in a mag but i cant find it.there were 2 one that was 100cc and one that was 125cc.it had red anodizing on it.they both came ready to roll.one waslike 600 the other like 1000.wish i could find the mag.it was pit bike mag that comes out every 3 months

i think im going to try the gpx too. soon because my sdg has been sitting for a while.im going to sell me 50 for the cash.how sad that i must make sacrafices for my addictions to these little bikes but 125 from 107 does sound nice plus probably cheaper in the long run.plus i hate the gear ratios on the sdg.first to low second to high and only get into 4th on the street.

Go with a GPX engine engine and just take care of it and it will last.

ive been trying to ask people how they run..and how reliable are they..i PM you about it the other day did u get it? o well let me know your experience with the motor and how its been so far..are parts availibly and easy to fix if i do run into problems? Thanks

If I were you I'd look for an XR70 for about 6 or $700. They're out there and you will find one if you keep your eye out. Swap the engines and put the 70 back on the market right away to try to get some of your money back, if you go this route you may actually get the engine for free of next to nothing. Or just keep the 70 and sell the forks and swingarm to someone wanting to build up their 50. Those parts fit with minimal modifications. Sell the engine and all the leftover parts on ebay. You may actually come out ahead if you're lucky. Sure the 70 engine is a slug but is a great base to build a solid Honda-based engine on. I've been thinking of doing something like this for a while now.

That ebay add looks like a complete clone. Ask for the first 6 digits of the VIN. (The side cover is a lifan that had the 'wings' trimmed off, also note the shifter. A 4spd transmission kit won't require custom side covers as the tranny resides INSIDE the case halves. (The kitaco/takegawa units are exceptions as they move the clutch.))

Rip Off