Sign in to follow this  

new rims

I was thinking about buying new rims for my 400. excel black rims look real cool. one question is, could I use them on another bike? just the rims. i understand that the hubs are different and probably spokes but do they all have the same number of spokes.?

most likely the spoke count would be different.

the diameter of the front would most likely be the same.

the diameter of the back could vary, mx 19", offroad 18"

the xr400 has a 21 inch, 36 spoke count in the front and 18 inch, 32 spoke count in the rear.

if you also got talon, rad, etc hubs you could use the rims across a wide range of bikes.

this is because the hubs use a carrier for each individual bike.

the carrier is a mount for discs and sprokets.

downside is that this is a spendy setup.

I bought mine from Burned here on the forums,he sold me new black Excel rims laced with new Bulldog spokes on slightly used Rad mfg. hubs for 5 bills so they are affordable if you do some searching.He has a shop and might be able to hook you up. You need to consider that the bearings are different on most different models and the axle diameter will vary. To use the wheels on different machines might require different bearings. The Rad hubs have grease zerks in the middle and make greasing the bearings a pleasure rather than a pain.

I was mainly talking about keeping my stock hubs and just buying the rims could the rims be used on other bikes with different hubs and spokes?

the rims could be used as long as the spoke count on the rim matches the spoke count on the new/other hub. the xr400 is 32 in the rear and 36 in the front. rim and hub spoke counts must match.

rim width from bike to bike will vary a little also but this is not as crucial. the stock rim width on the xr400 is 1.8 in the front and 2.15 in the rear.

thanks guys. is that spoke count pretty common?

i know the spoke count varies on from offroad bikes to mx bikes. so does the rim width and diameter. do you a specific bike that you are talking about?

I currently have a xr400. could I buy rims for it and possibly later switch them to a xr600, xr650r, xr650l? I am jus thinking of bikes that I may buy in the future.

I guess I just figured pretty much all the 21" front rims were all the same. I understand that the widths may vary but was wondering if the spoke count is the same.

i'm pretty sure the spoke count is the same for the xr400 and xr600. i'm not sure about the xr650.