Sign in to follow this  

Fork Rattle?

I installed Applied stiffer fork springs on my '05 crf50 and love them. The only problem I am having now is that I am getting a rattle sounds from the front end when I do wheelies and/or in the upper rpms that cause vibration.

It sounds like it is coming from the fork so I will pull it up into a wheelie and attempt to find it with my left hand. It is not anything obvious like the brake spring vibrating against the hub or the cables on the frame. I have checked all of that.

I am thinking it is coming from inside the fork tube, maybe the spring vibrating against inside of the fork tube.

Anyone else have this problem????? It is annoying all all heck, more so because I can't pinpoint to what it is or where it is coming from.

my forks really started to do that bad after i installed my 88RS. it doesnt seem to affect anything and ive pulled them apart and found nothing wrong so i just leave it. i would like to know what it could be though.

i had that problem is it like a click when the tire lifts?i tore the thing apart twice.what i found was the spring when extened with no weight would come off the alumunum sleave that you put in with the pins(please excuse spelling)I ended up taking them back and getting the bbr nsprings and bronze bushings.bbr uses the stock sleaves but they are a pain to get theold springs on and the newones screwed on.if interested i got some tips on installing the bbr springs.i think they are cheaper to

Mine did that after I installed my springs and bar kit. Came to find that I didn't tighten down the the steering stem enough and there was a little slop in the bearings. Not really that much to make it that obvious, but I tightened it up a bit and it went away.

make sure that the bolts on the top of the forks are tight

bronze bushings aa=re NOISY, not good bushings.

BUT did you grease up the springs or just stick em in there dry

?

naw they are good wear like iron.i have had friends wear out the plastic ones.all different types. i never had a problem till i sold it.good ? with the grease it will make noise with out that lol

bronze bushings aa=re NOISY, not good bushings.

BUT did you grease up the springs or just stick em in there dry

?

we are talking about the bushings that go over the fork legs that control the slop in the forks.stock are those flimsy white plastic ones :applause:

When I installed the Applied fork springs (which come with the aluminum ends already attached) I loaded up on the grease. I was very liberal on the grease - I loaded them up. I could have put more, I guess.

I also replaced the stock bushings with new Five-O bushings (which were more than the springs). The 14mm bolt in each fork tube are tight. However I have not checked my steering stem bolt... I never loosened it up. Didn't seem to need to.

I will loosen the handle bar kit (the two 14mm bolts to the forks and the 30mm steering stem bold) and reinstall it and see if that helps.

If that doesn't help I am thinking it is the aluminum end that came preinstalled on the spring. Maybe it comes loose from the spring when there is no weight on the front end. Could this cause the rattling? And how would you fix it?

when u put ur springs in is there any play in it?? as in can u move the fork leg in and out at all?? if so u could do what i did on my replica...... put a spacer on the top of the spring and get a longer bolt!! it will raise the front some too!! worked perfect for mine!! u just need to find out how much play you have in the leg!! it the spring is separating from the aluminum end cap that will fix it by keeping contact with the springs!!

In addition to the rattle I have been hearing a clunking noise, which others have said is normal. I don't like it. Makes the bike sound cheap and i hate that.

Has anyone found a way to fix this? Maybe add better dampers than the orings or perhaps adding the spacers to the top of the clamp will fix all of it? Any suggestions?

like i said sounds like the spring is seperating from the insert.the way to fix that is to throw them away and buy the bbr springs

im having a problem like that to on xr50 knockoff. i dont jump it its just for street stunts. if i hold the front brake and push theres a little movement in it, like its wiggling forward. it also makes a little clunking noise. i asked around and people told me theres a top crown that can be tightened. the bikes actually pretty good quality which surprised me :applause: since i got it off ebay and all the scooters and pocketbikes on there are garbage. :eek: havent had any other problems with it i got it in january, its a 100cc 4 speed manual.

I compared the bbr, fiveO, and applied fork springs while at the store and the springs themselves all looked the same, the difference - applied had the aluminum ends already installed to the spring itself. The aluminum ends and springs seem to be great quality, I have no problem there. I just need to figure out what is causing the rattle in the upper rpms and clunking noise on extension.

I don't see how the bbr springs would not have done this as well... they were the same length and thinkness.

I'm telling you man you gotta check the headset. You've already tightened everything else up with new springs and bushings right? By process of elimination it has to be slop in the headset. Tightening up the top bolt won't help if you don't have enough pressure on the bearings themselves, that is set by the spanner nut under the top clamp. It's kinda like the crank on a bicycle, the top nut is only a jam nut. The one underneath is the one that needs the attention. Don't overtighten, just enough to where it steers freely with no drag or binding.

I was running out of options... I will take the handlebar kit off and check the headset nut. Doesn't feel to be any slop in the head set... it is a new bike. But I have checked everything else and still have a rattle and clunking noise. The clunking noise is only on quick extensions of the forks like jumping and/or bumps.

When getting in to the bearings, should I swap the original ones out for the nice after market tapered roller bearings? Has anyone tried these and were they worth it?

The bbr springs dont do it because they dont extend as far. the springs dont come of the insert because they are screwed onto the stock one.the apllied spring slips off the insert and smacks into the washer and c clip at the bottom.I put up with it for a week untill I hit a jump with a steep lip that pre loaded the front real good.when the fork extended in the air it shot the fork leg outand nocked the c clip off. your problem could be different but it sounds alot like what i went through.