Sign in to follow this  

The Myth of the IMS / ZipTy tank.

I'm wanting to get a IMS tank to suit a WR250F 2004. After searching the forums there seems to be a lot of different opinions on them. It seems from the search that people with WR450F 2005 models have had the most problems of fuel lines being to close to the header and the tank rubbing on the engine. There are a lot of different treads about these tanks but no real answer. The 2005 models are meant to of been lowered slightly. I heard that the frame was lowered at the headstock. Could this be causing the problem cause the frame is more compact or did they reduce the ground clearance as well?

I know that IMS makes the ZipTy tanks but are they the same apart from the having the option of a right side petcock? Also is the tank for the WRF and YZF the same with just a moveable front mounting lug for the different seats.

When you look at the picture's on the IMS website the tank for the WRF has a lot more clearance above the header than the YZF. Also the kickstart fits better into the tank on the WRF. I think the the photo of the WRF is a 250 and the YZF is a 450 and that makes the difference.

Sorry about all the questions but im looking to buy 3 tanks to import to Australia so I just want to know if there is really only 1 model of IMS tank or more.

I don't have a WR but I can tell you about my experience with the ZipTy version on an '04 YZ250F.

Differences between IMS and ZipTy:

IMS advertises their tank as a 3.1 gal. and ZipTy says theirs is 3.3 gal. According to the person I talked to at ZipTy, it is the same tank, the only difference is the location of the fuel connection on the right side. IMS uses a threaded fitting on the inside of the right lobe, about 2 inches up from the bottom. Therefore, since it can't suck out the gas from the bottom 2 inches of the right lobe, they list it as 3.1 gals. ZipTy plugs the hole that IMS uses and puts another hole at the botttom of the right lobe to install the petcock, which allows them to use all the gas on the right side, so they list it as 3.3 gals. I have the ZipTy version with the right side petcock.

Pros:

- Overall tank fitment is good.

- The upper portion of the tank is almost exactly the same as the stock tank. Ergos are great, it doesn't feel big or top heavy at all

- Since the extra gas is carried low, it lowers the center of gravity and noticably improves cornering and handling.

Cons:

- The finish is not that great. The excess plastic from the molding process looks like it was scraped off with a dull hacksaw blade.

- The kickstarter slightly touches the relief area in the tank no matter which way you adjust it. I opted for it touching the top of the relief because the pressure on the tank is less.

- On mine, the right side petcock leaked gas where it seals to the tank from day one. I had to reseal it 3 times before it finally stopped leaking. It is impossible to get your hand or a tool inside the tank to hold the inner nut. I really don't know how they got it on there in the first place. I just made sure the nut never came off when I was working on it.

- The right side petcock doesn't completely shut off the flow of gas. It doesn't leak much, but still its annoying.

As for the closeness of the petcock to the header pipe, on mine the bottom of the petcock is exactly 1 inch from the header. It looks close, but it hasn't been a problem so far (as long as gas isn't leaking) :applause:

if only 1 side of the tanks fuel got used, you could use it like a reserve, just put the the bike on it side, lift back up a giver home :applause:

So does that mean there is not seperate WRF/ YZF versions. And you can adapt the seat lug to fit either if I update to a 05/ 06 WR which has the YZF style of seat?

The '03-'05 part numbers from RockyMountain are 117323B2A for the YZ and 117323B2B for the WR. ZipTy told me they were the same.

For 2005, the YZ and WR both use YZ shrouds, so you don't need to buy those. For '04, you needed to buy YZ shrouds.

On mine (IMS from RockyMountain) the right side elbow fitting IS on the bottom of the lobe, not on the inside as on earlier models.

If heat is a concern, wrap the header with heat tape. Your carb, shock, radiator, and leg will thank you :applause: