Sign in to follow this  

CRF450X Side Case

I was riding my CRF450X up in Colorado. While climbing rocks / boulders, I landed on a rock causing my brake pedal to punch a hole through my magnesium right side case. I had epoxy with me and was able to patch the hole and get back to riding within 45 minutes.

A couple of days later I did the same thing again only it was worse than the first time as it knocked off the patch and created a larger hole. I did the repair and finished the ride.

I am running the Works Connection full skid plate, yet even this does not make allowance for the brake pedal punching a hole into the case. I can file or grind the first tooth on the brake pedal and I think this would help stop this from happening in the future.

What I would really like to do in find a new aluminum side case with which to replace the magnesium case. Another option would be some kind of case saver.

Does anyone know where to find an aluminum engine right side case or a case saver for a CRF450X?

Thanks,

Brian

buy a case saver,they sell them on TT

are you sure it was the peddle that punctured the case or was it a rock that came from the bottom? can you post a pic?

PS If you find a better cover let me know.

Remove the brake pedal and take a hand grinder to it. Remove the inner two teeth on the front and rear and make everything nice and round. I did this and took some plastidip (stuff you dip tool handles into) and dipped the tip and it works like a charm. You have to redo the plastidip every now and then but it really works. I have never lost grip on my rear brake pedal either!

I didn't take off the pedal. I just used a dremel with a cutting disk to trim off the teeth closest to the case. Then a little fileing to smooth things up.

Thanks for the ideas. I am looking for a new cover in a billet solution if possible. Still hard to find third party parts for the 450X. I will file or grind the teeth on the brake pedal and see about the plastic coating.

I will post pics when I get them.

Remove the brake pedal and take a hand grinder to it. Remove the inner two teeth on the front and rear and make everything nice and round. I did this and took some plastidip (stuff you dip tool handles into) and dipped the tip and it works like a charm. You have to redo the plastidip every now and then but it really works. I have never lost grip on my rear brake pedal either!

well said that's exactly what I had done to my 450R. fule the first 2 teeth flat so when the pedal hits the case the teeth dont puncture it