Sign in to follow this  

Chalet pop-up trailer?

Anyone here have or ever used one of those? It's a popup trailer with hard walls. My wife and I are thinking of getting one but I'd like some feedback from people who have used one before we jump in. New, they're pretty expensive.

We don't have storage for anything bigger, and the flappy tent material walls of something like a Starcraft aren't that exciting. Thanks.

That looks pretty sweet. I'd love a toy hauler, I just can't justify buying a 3/4 ton truck to tow one and quite frankly I don't have the space to store something that large.

Have you checked the trailer forum here on TT? Some good posts in there following this same discussion. Someone in California make a small 16' enclosed trailer with a kitchen, bed and bathroom. I checked one out. Not the _highest_ quality but perfect for what I would want.

Good luck!

You will probably want something that pops up into more room. Brian and I have that tent trailer and once we put ourselves, our gear, food and other supplies in it, there isn't much space. Even though the tent trailers have soft walls, they aren't like a tent where if it rains you get wet. Our tent trailer has really thick canvas walls that work really good.

But does it get as cold inside your trailer as it does in a tent? Hard walls are appealing in that you'd think they would insulate better, and year-round camping opportunities would be nice.

Also, we're not sure yet if we can back a 13'-16' trailer into our garage given all the street parking on the narrow street we live on. Sigh.

It has a heater so year round camping is good to go!! It does stay a tiny bit warmer because the walls are thicker. I think our trailer is 14' and when my parents owned it they stored it in the garage with room to spare.

I love my tent trailer I bolted 1/4in angle on the roof so when its down I load my 3 bikes on top, and have never had any problems with leeks.

I too have a soft side (thick plastic and canvas) pop up trailer. Its great. Has a great furnace. Keeps the inside verry warm believe it or not. It sleeps 6 (3 double size beds).

The storage is fantastic (5 ft high, 7 ft wide 14 ft long). mine is old but i love it. I was thinking about the bikes on top deal. Probably have to beef up the suspension.

You can buy ad leafs for almost nothen, and I put some support bars on the inside '

just to tuffen it up,and it works great I have never had any problems with it in the

three years I have had it.

I love my tent trailer I bolted 1/4in angle on the roof so when its down I load my 3 bikes on top, and have never had any problems with leeks.

3 full sized dirt bikes? Really?

I've wondered about doing something like that.

That's prety cool.

-Tyler

Thanks, It frees up a lot of space in the truck.

I load a cr250, crf70, and a crf450 on the top

so I guess 2and a half bikes.

What model are you loading those on? Ive get a big rack and basket on mine. Holds alot, but i dont know about putting 600 pounds up there.

I love our pop-up. 00 fleetwood. Great furnace, great storage. The only thing mine could use is a propane fridge. Also its never really secure. If somebody wants to get in they can. But thats probably the case with all trailers.

We sleep in ours 30-40 winter nights a year up at Whistler. Never been cold, and its never gotten too moist. Ive never understood those chalet style popups. They look like they have zero room in em.

Ours is a 1981 Jayco. It doesn't have a propane frig and that's really the only thing that sucks about it! The new Jaycos look like they have a propane fridge and some of them even come with an outdoor shower, all for the price of about a new dirt bike!! :applause:

Thanks, It frees up a lot of space in the truck.

I load a cr250, crf70, and a crf450 on the top

so I guess 2and a half bikes.

Let's see some photos.

Thanks,

Tyler

I've got a 1976 sherwood. Was my folks. we toured the nation (36 states) in the summer of 78. my pop stored the thing for 18 yrs in his garage. was gonna throw it away. my wife thought it looked better than a tent....lol....we've had it for 2 yrs...I trash it at the creek in ca....no worries.

dirty187

can you post some pics of youre setup? How are you tying em down? are they each in their own metal track? What did you use for reinforcements inside of it?

I have three single rails, the fronts are bent up for a stoper. I have tyedown hooks

all the way around the top, and for support on the in side I have 4 4x4s on door henges, so when I lower the top I fold down the legs, and when I pop it up they fold out of the way. Im working on geting some pics for you guys my buddy is bringing

over his cam this weekend and I will post them for ya

Very good question, as I'm in the same boat. I want something to get my fanny sleeping off the ground, but with solid walls. Plus it has to be light for my Nissan 4-banger to pull, along with a couple bikes in the truck. Here's Chalet's link (they're built in Albany, OR):

http://www.chaletrv.com/

Please post any responses you get, as I'm considering one also.

-Tom

I drive a freight truck in albany and have delivered to chalet MANY times. i guess their trailers are comparable to other manufactures stuff. BUT the one downfall to the chalet is their triangle shaped! think about it, you can't sit four people at the table,and you only have full height in the middle where the door is. other popups are square so you have ALL the available room. just my two cents worth. :applause: